• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Prevent Doctors from Accessing Pharmacy Records?

O

okcmiami

3 questions...
1) How does my eye doctor have access to all of my pharmacy records, including every prescription drug I've ever bought from every different pharmacy, even though none of them have anything to do with him or his office (I only see him annually to be re-evaluated for contact lenses)? Obviously he is getting the information from my insurance company (Anthem Blue Cross) but how? I'm assuming I must've signed some sort of waiver at his office at some point?
2) How do I prevent this from happening in the future with other doctors?
3) Is there a way to revoke access from here on out of my eye doctor viewing/having access to my current and future pharmacy records (since once again it has absolutely nothing to do with my annual visits to him).

3 questions...
1) How does my eye doctor have access to all of my pharmacy records, including every prescription drug I've ever bought from every different pharmacy, even though none of them have anything to do with him or his office (I only see him annually to be re-evaluated for contact lenses)? Obviously he is getting the information from my insurance company (Anthem Blue Cross) but how? I'm assuming I must've signed some sort of waiver at his office at some point?
2) How do I prevent this from happening in the future with other doctors?
3) Is there a way to revoke access from here on out of my eye doctor viewing/having access to my current and future pharmacy records (since once again it has absolutely nothing to do with my annual visits to him).

Actually it is most likely through a 3rd party system such as intelliscripts.
Basically, many pharmacies, and the "middle men" companies that supply Pharmacies (called PBMs, Pharmacy Benefit Managers), participate in rx databases. These databases are used by Pharmacies, insurers, and doctors.

And yes, you signed off on your info being both submitted to the database, and you signed off on your doctor accessing those records in the paperwork he gave you.

Go to Frequently Asked Questions for more info.

But your eye doctor performs tests and procedures that could possibly have an interaction with any current meds you are on. And people lie all the time about what meds they are on, especially when they think that "it doesnt matter".

Also, some vision problems have been known to stem from bad interactions with prescription drugs.... or from medical conditions that the prescription history can clue him in on....

So those are most likely the reasons your eye doctor needed to check your rx history.... you could also just ask him why.... there most likely is a perfectly valid medical reason if you just ask first and shoot second.

If you do not want him to have access to your records then I would suggest you have a discussion with him about the subject. You will need to tell him that you want to revoke his privilege to access your rx history.

Just don't be surprised if he refuses you as a patient if you refuse access to your prescription history.

There is a lot of CYA in there for doctors. It can help them avoid bad interaction between drugs and also helps to combat doctor shopping.

I'm not saying he will, but he might.

Just don't be surprised if he refuses you as a patient if you refuse access to your prescription history.

There is a lot of CYA in there for doctors. It can help them avoid bad interaction between drugs and also helps to combat doctor shopping.

I'm not saying he will, but he might.

I would bet money that he will drop him as a patient if he is not willing to sign off on every single form that the doctor requires/needs. Especially one that pertains to his medical history.

It would be like one of our clients saying that they dont want to tell us a critical piece of info to do our jobs... unless your desperate for $$$ that person is not going to become a client

I'm not sure why an optometrist needs complete access to a patient's prescription history. But apparently he feels he does. Also, I'm willing to bet this came up because he asked about a particular drug, which suggests he was concerned about it in relation to your eye health and backs his need for access.

Ultimately the OP needs to decide which is more important, seeing this particular doctor or keeping his records from this doctor. You have the choice to go to another doctor, just like this doctor has a choice to refuse you as a patient if you don't allow him access to the information he feels is necessary to properly do his job.

Back