Price Differences for Medical Equipment

Law of unintended consequences always applies. A study determines that an effective heart surgeon earns $300K. Letters go out to those earning 500K informing them that max comp will now be 300K.

A: Those doctors say oh well
B: Those doctors quit and relocate

If you chose B, you're correct.

Re: Computed Tomography (CT) Scan Costs...

Naperville, IL. Hospital - $7,100 for the scan and $350 to the physician who records the results.

Naperville, IL. MRI Center (7 blocks away) - $480 w/physician recorded results included.

Most doctors refer patients to Naperville Hospital for their CT scan.

HSA clients get there and then call me (in shock!) for an alternative. I steer them to the MRI Center.

Low Deductible clients don't question. They just follow the doctor's orders/referral.

"Obamacare" does NOTHING to offset the high cost of medical tests, equipment, treatment, etc.. If anything, the low deductible/rich benefit plans that we'll see on the 2014 Exchange will foster abuse and increase costs.

-Allen

Allenchicago, you are so right and I never would have paid attention until I went on a HDHP. Went back to our Orth Surgeon for my wife and complained how they raped me on the cost of her boot. Asked how much it would have been if I was a cash client and I would have saved $100. My Cardiologist I have an appointment with I asked how much for an office visit, cash patient 40 insurance 70. WTF???????

Back