Prospectmatch.com

My credit card company allows me to create a 'virtual' credit card linked to my account. Basically, it generates a different number that I can use for either a single transaction or a recurring transaction. Either way, there is a limit to how much can be transacted via that number. Also, I learned the hard way that it appears to be linked to the first vendor that uses the number, no other vendors can then process a charge on the same card.

This is MUCH easier to manage than 'throw-away' style cards, since the billing happens on my regular card statement, but it has the protection of a separate, very limited card.

Bank of America calls this 'Shop-safe'. I'm sure other vendors do something similar, but my Wells Fargo card does not appear to have any equivalent. Bummers.

Dan

Easy. Get a separate debit card and especially with the new credit card law, don't opt into overdraft.

Use that card to buy leads. Only keep enough on the card to pay for upcoming charges. So if you plan on being billed $200 on the 15th, have $205 on the card.

Aside from putting money onto the card the day before payment is due, keep 10% on it. All problems solved.

This tactic saved me around $200 and a lot of headaches when I cancelled a vendor over the phone and by email. I was assumed my acc't was cancelled. However, I got a notice that they tried to process my card a few weeks later and it was declined.

When I called back they admitted their error....but what they didn't have was my $200.

Sounds like a good idea, the problem with these guys is that you never know when they are going to hit your card because they have that $200 threshold. When I was getting1 a day or so, it was easy to plan. It wasn't until I tried to "pause" that in the dead of night, they dumped a load of "prospects" on me which then signaled their computer that I was over the $200 and then Bam! your card is billed.

Internet leads always have a certain % inaccurate. But I used the service and had no problem getting the ones with bad phone or bad name replaced.

Wal Mart has a pre paid card for $3 you can try. Most check cashing places offer some form of pre paid cards as well.

Buying the pre loaded cards might not work as the billing address will not be yours. The cards from the check cashing places you can register your billing zip code.

Maybe I have done this before... Lol.

Internet leads always have a certain % inaccurate. But I used the service and had no problem getting the ones with bad phone or bad name replace by the company.

Internet leads always have a certain % inaccurate. But I used the service and had no problem getting the ones with bad phone or bad name replace by the company.

I got replacements too but they continued to be just as poor quality and in the meantime, I got new ones that I paid for and they were poor too, so it is like being on a treadmill you can't get off. Poor leads, in order to get replacements you have to stay with them, get more bad leads, get them replaced, on and on and on.

I don't even know why lead vendors sell to independent agents... Not worth the hassle IMO. Not to mention they're NEVER satisfied.

Call centers are the best customers.

Independent agents should work on personal branding and production, leave the lead buying to the guys w/ deep pockets.

Last edited:
The bad leads were replaced with other leads and some were also bad and some were good and I have closed business. I know a lot about Internet leads (was the Internet Manager at a car dealer) and the whole idea is that they are inexpensive enough that you can buy enough, close business with some, toss out the bad, and still earn 1000% return on the investment while someone else does the prospecting.

Back