Question about Part D

She is turning 65. She pays Florids Blue $900+ monthly for her Plan F supplement and 50+ monthly for her PDP. She never shoped either. I have never replaced a drug plan midyear and since she has so many expensive medications I don't want to screw up.

Using "T65" and mid-year is confusing to me, and possibly others as well.

Turning 65 creates a fresh start for someone on SSDI/Medicare. Regardless of whether they have a Medigap, MA or neither and have Medicare only they have a "new" IEP and have 6 months to enroll in a Medigap without underwriting, and 63 days to enroll in MA or PDP.

Your mid-year comment could be interpreted as you want to change her PDP before her 65th birthday.

When you turn 65, you essentially lose your entitlement to Medicare based on disability and become entitled based on age. In short, you get another chance to enroll, a second Initial Enrollment Period if you will.6

If you decided not to take Part B when you were eligible for disability under 65, when you do turn 65, you’ll now be automatically enrolled in Part B. Your Medicare card will then be mailed to you about 3 months before your 65th birthday.

You can also decide during this time to enroll in a Medicare Advantage or Part D prescription drug plan. Additionally, once you have Part B, you can enroll in a Medigap plan if you so wish.

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11036-Enrolling-Medicare-Part-A-Part-B.pdf

when they turn 65, since they get a new part B date

I don't recall ever seeing that.

I have clients who were on SSDI/Medicare then turned 65. I have never known them to get a new Medicare card with a new Part B (or A) effective date. We just used their existing card including the original A, B effective dates as on the card and moved forward without a hitch.

So would the SEP just be "new to Medicare"?

I am looking at a list of 25 or so SEP categories (on Sunfire) and none of them say "I previously had Medicare but am now turning 65"

So would the SEP just be "new to Medicare"?

I am looking at a list of 25 or so SEP categories (on Sunfire) and none of them say "I previously had Medicare but am now turning 65"

No idea what you are reading, but the PDP apps I have seen have wording similar to what @goillini52 posted. Never saw a reason to dig further than the application.

They have a PDP? Never heard of it. If I could save her money, I’d easily move both.

Anyway, I accidentally stepped into the Florida Forum, and my unnecessary attempt to decrypt the meaning of FB wasn't appreciated. The real Florida is kind of a dangerous place.

The biggest Oh sh$$ moment I ever had in my life was in a bar in Florida 1999. I was there with a couple of guys, and for no reason these guys that looked like they just killed their parents, took an interest in us. Somehow they got distracted and we got out of there asap.

Latest posts

Back