Question About Rebating

Re: Question About Rebatingq

"Banks do it all the time open an account and we deposit x into your account. "

Yes, but they don't offer a 50% match and have terms within the contract that state what they will do if you terminate the contract early.

Where can an agent make terms of agreement with any insurance plan?

In fact I would bet that an agent who gave a 50% rebate couldn't challenge in court over an insured declining coverage. The insured has a legal right to cancel at any time AND depending on when the cancelation occurs they would be refunded any unapplied premium.

Rebating is a slippery slope because as an agent you are very limited to what you can do to recover the money given to a client. Rebating would fall under statements provided by an agent that have no responsibility for the carrier. The carrier is not offering the rebate, the agent is.

I just think it is flat out weak. A sure sign of a weak agent. IMO.

I just think it is flat out weak. A sure sign of a weak agent. IMO.

Don't know if debating is legal in Maine but never saw the benefit. Once you start offering a portion of your commission as a rebate what stops the client from shopping you for an agent willing to rebate a larger amount of commission.

NorCal is right IF one is so inclined to rebate......
at least put on type of time stipulation on how long the policy must be in place, just like when the cable company or DirecTv offers me some 'kick back' the fine print says AFTER xyz amount of time etc....

I'm not a fan of rebating, personally but.... a few things to consider/remember...

a) Even if allow by the state, most carriers forbid it right there in your contract. (So really it a null and void scenario, for the most part anyway.) Think about from the carrier's POV if 'rebating' is illegal in 90% of the country it's just easier and more ingrained as something NOT to do, period. Much easier just to say , nope WE don't allow it across the board.

b) Now just looking at it has a practice...I think it's unfair to call it 'buying' business anymore than any other legit business that would offer a rebate.....
Most car companies have offered them.....
Are they 'weak' for doing so...
Are those 'customers' LESS committed BECAUSE they bought with a rebate?

Again, when ppl start making big, bold sweeping statements as FACT make sure that, that FACT is one that is factual in every scenario not just a 'fact' b/c YOU don't like or agree to use it for YOUR operation.

And, I'll say it again...I'm NOT going to 'rebate' any of MY money back to a client however, I'm not going to speak from the side of my neck and say that 'rebating' customers as a whole makes one 'weak' or somehow creates a 'weaker' customer.

If.....
Dell Computers
Hewlett-Packard
G.E.
Lexus
Mercedes-Benz
and a host of others use rebates it's a bit much to call it 'weak' according to consumer research 47% of Americans submit some form of 'rebate' within a 12 month period.

They all didn't buy just to 'return' the item to Wal-Mart after getting the manufacturer's rebate.

My only point is...is isn't de facto a 'bad' form of marketing on it's face b/c many. many businesses do it ans we see it accepted by the public daily.....(now do I WANT it to be common practice for folks to be coming in asking about 'sharing' my pay check ? hell no)

But the TRUTH is, it's no different from any other consumer business where one alarm guy is willing to GIVE extra windows or extra keypads to get or ATTRACT clients.

If it eats money that would have otherwise gone into your pocket de facto it's a 'rebate'...so don't be hypocritical....... business is 'BOUGHT' all the time.

To say that a customer isn't a real customer BECAUSE a 'rebate' was involved as a statement of fact is going too far......b/c you're also saying that a guy that buys a Lexus partly b/c of the great rebate they were offering at the time isn't that 'committed' to keeping his car or falling in love with and becoming a Lexus buyer for life and that is short sighted.

Marketing 'schemes' are used get customer's attention all the time is doesn't mean their going to be 'bad' clients b/c of it...if ppl WANTED to get over using rebates and return policies and money back guarantees they could but for most ppl it's too much work to do so as a way of life and that's why a gazillion companies use 'em every-freaking-day.

NorCal is right IF one is so inclined to rebate......
at least put on type of time stipulation on how long the policy must be in place, just like when the cable company or DirecTv offers me some 'kick back' the fine print says AFTER xyz amount of time etc....

I'm not a fan of rebating, personally but.... a few things to consider/remember...

a) Even if allow by the state, most carriers forbid it right there in your contract. (So really it a null and void scenario, for the most part anyway.) Think about from the carrier's POV if 'rebating' is illegal in 90% of the country it's just easier and more ingrained as something NOT to do, period. Much easier just to say , nope WE don't allow it across the board.

b) Now just looking at it has a practice...I think it's unfair to call it 'buying' business anymore than any other legit business that would offer a rebate.....
Most car companies have offered them.....
Are they 'weak' for doing so...
Are those 'customers' LESS committed BECAUSE they bought with a rebate?

Again, when ppl start making big, bold sweeping statements as FACT make sure that, that FACT is one that is factual in every scenario not just a 'fact' b/c YOU don't like or agree to use it for YOUR operation.

And, I'll say it again...I'm NOT going to 'rebate' any of MY money back to a client however, I'm not going to speak from the side of my neck and say that 'rebating' customers as a whole makes one 'weak' or somehow creates a 'weaker' customer.

If.....
Dell Computers
Hewlett-Packard
G.E.
Lexus
Mercedes-Benz
and a host of others use rebates it's a bit much to call it 'weak' according to consumer research 47% of Americans submit some form of 'rebate' within a 12 month period.

They all didn't buy just to 'return' the item to Wal-Mart after getting the manufacturer's rebate.

My only point is...is isn't de facto a 'bad' form of marketing on it's face b/c many. many businesses do it ans we see it accepted by the public daily.....(now do I WANT it to be common practice for folks to be coming in asking about 'sharing' my pay check ? hell no)

But the TRUTH is, it's no different from any other consumer business where one alarm guy is willing to GIVE extra windows or extra keypads to get or ATTRACT clients.

If it eats money that would have otherwise gone into your pocket de facto it's a 'rebate'...so don't be hypocritical....... business is 'BOUGHT' all the time.

To say that a customer isn't a real customer BECAUSE a 'rebate' was involved as a statement of fact is going too far......b/c you're also saying that a guy that buys a Lexus partly b/c of the great rebate they were offering at the time isn't that 'committed' to keeping his car or falling in love with and becoming a Lexus buyer for life and that is short sighted.

Marketing 'schemes' are used get customer's attention all the time is doesn't mean their going to be 'bad' clients b/c of it...if ppl WANTED to get over using rebates and return policies and money back guarantees they could but for most ppl it's too much work to do so as a way of life and that's why a gazillion companies use 'em every-freaking-day.

It is weak. Sorry. Weak as Countrytime Lemonade.

Why do you think companies rebate? To get people to buy their product that otherwise might not. It is buying business.

I quoted a guy in California and later on he emailed me saying he would really like to buy from me but another agent had offered him a rebate and if I could match it, he would use me. I told him to go with the other agent.

Back