?re Options with Hx of Treatment 4 Years Ago for Substance Use

voiceofreason

5 years ago my spouse had family problems and a sketchy group of friends resulting in experimentation with controlled substances and alcohol. She did not strictly speaking meet the criteria for dependency but was heading in the wrong direction and sought help through a 6 week outpatient dependency program. She worked through a lot of issues mainly related to her father. Subsequently she has not used controlled substances. I am changing jobs and will need to find individual insurance.

1)Does her history preclude being approved for a family policy? I was looking at a 6-7,000 deductible HSA plan. We otherwise have no medical issues.

2) If we were approved, I assume the rates would be higher. Would the rates ever readjust downward?

3) Should I apply only for myself and 2 children (ages 3 and 1) and continue her on a COBRA from my prior employer sponsered group plan and in 6 months add her on after the 5 year window has elapsed?

Looking for any advice in this unfortunate situation. The treatment was probably overkill although helpfull. Nonetheless it now appears to be a big problem.

Re: ?re Options with Hx of Treatment 4 Years Ago for Substance Us

I don't know what state you're in, but the lookback period for drug/alcohol abuse is usually 10 years, not 5. Work with an independent broker who knows the underwriting guidelines in your state. It won't cost you anything and you'll be much better off. In all likelihood she will have to stay on COBRA and then get a guaranteed-issue HIPAA plan after the COBRA expires, unless you or her gets a job with health benefits. When 2014 rolls around she can get her Obamacare no questions asked.

Back