Really Weird One- Help!

All US Citizens, and permanent residents who have resided 5 years or longer, may participate in Medicare. The 40 Quarters requirement is only to receive Part A for "free". They can still pay a premium for Part A and participate.

Now the trick is enrollment periods. Usually the first quarter of the year, with benefits to begin 1 July.

If you are looking for something temporarily, check with local HMO's. The only national plan that covers seniors waiting for Medicare that I am aware of is the Medicare Bridge which you can check with your local brokerage outlet. Although in this case they may be too old as the Bridge Plan typically stops at 84.

Good luck

Thomas Petersen
Petersen International Underwriters

All US Citizens, and permanent residents who have resided 5 years or longer, may participate in Medicare. The 40 Quarters requirement is only to receive Part A for "free". They can still pay a premium for Part A and participate.

Now the trick is enrollment periods. Usually the first quarter of the year, with benefits to begin 1 July.

If you are looking for something temporarily, check with local HMO's. The only national plan that covers seniors waiting for Medicare that I am aware of is the Medicare Bridge which you can check with your local brokerage outlet. Although in this case they may be too old as the Bridge Plan typically stops at 84.

Good luck

Thomas Petersen
Petersen International Underwriters

While she may be able to get Parts A and B, she cannot afford it. A alone is $400 plus $104.90 for B, if they don't hit her with penalties- plus Part D. We are pushing 40% of her check. The only way health insurance would be affordable to her is if she was eligible for a subsidy.

While she may be able to get Parts A and B, she cannot afford it. A alone is $400 plus $104.90 for B, if they don't hit her with penalties- plus Part D. We are pushing 40% of her check. The only way health insurance would be affordable to her is if she was eligible for a subsidy.

I already knew this thats why I posted my initial response.....

Well not to sound flippant, but what has this 89 year old been doing for medical insurance for the past 89 years?

She was covered under CHAMPVA until 2012 based on earlier posts. Someone in the gov't cut her off.

I don't think there is any way this lady is getting a federal subsidy without getting taxable income up or moving into a household that meeting the minimum income guidelines.

**UPDATE**
I spoke to Harry's office and Joe Heck's office. Both of them referred me back to the State- Governor Sandoval's office. The Governor's office sent me to the office of consumer something or other. They were very blunt- there's nothing we can do. If she wants a policy, she has to pay. We are really sorry it costs so much, be grateful you can get it now.
No one seemed to care about the VA issue, nor the fact that she's 89.
I am going to continue to pursue the issue with Harry's office, via e-mail and in person in May.

I think she should show her face at the Medicare office with all her documentation and death certificate of husband and all evidence of his service and then if she gets declined to absolutely get it in writing and then she will be the poster child for the existing crisis and "change we can believe in"

**UPDATE**
I spoke to Harry's office and Joe Heck's office. Both of them referred me back to the State- Governor Sandoval's office. The Governor's office sent me to the office of consumer something or other. They were very blunt- there's nothing we can do. If she wants a policy, she has to pay. We are really sorry it costs so much, be grateful you can get it now.
No one seemed to care about the VA issue, nor the fact that she's 89.
I am going to continue to pursue the issue with Harry's office, via e-mail and in person in May.

They're probably hoping that if they "pass the buck" enough times, you'll go away.:skeptical:

They don't know what to do that's why they're not helping. POTUS needs a poster child for his next State of the Union address ....whoops but they won't call your client

She is the poster child for what is not working. They won't call me either my insurance went up 35 percent roughly 2300 dollars a year I won't get that call either to come and tell the truth.

She should go to Medicaid office right away before this open enrollment period closes so that away she done something before the open enrollment period ends
She should smile and not complain. She should be very pleasant and maybe even bring a box of chocolates to give them.

Just because she got a "no" answer once doesn't mean she's going to get "no" answer again. She will get a different person it will be a different day. And also a medical crisis changes everything.

Back