Referral #s and SOC

timeflies

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have about 450 MAPD members. In an effort to try and get more referrals, I starting using SOC about a year ago based on advice from several agents. I think SOC is great. I am sending out birthday cards every month and I've used it to sent personal pieces to all of my members and prospects probably 4-5 times since last July. I am sending out over 500 cards each time. A lot of my members call me when they get the cards. They love them also. I hardly ever loose any members so I think it has been great for retention, but I am not getting hardly any referrals. Maybe two per month and not anymore than before I started using SOC. I always include a family picture and a brief note reminding them that I appreciate referrals. I am very high touch with my members. I call them a couple times a year to just check in and I am big on helping with customer service stuff. I order ID cards, I help find providers, I even write claims appeals, but still very few referrals. Any advice on what I should change so the referrals pick up?

How often do you talk to them? Do you review their existing coverage every AEP and suggest changes when warranted?

Yes Most members keep their current plan. I moved about 15 members last Aep . I did get about 30 referrals during AEP, but not many since . I call all my members twice every year and all the new members shortly after their plan starts. I am very responsive to their customer service needs as well

Just a wag, but I would think AEP referrals would be common. Lots of carrier advertising. Medicare is on (almost) everyone's mind.

Granted, there are people turning 65 every day of the year. I get T65 referrals all year but my business model is different. All Medigap and PDP. No MA.

I don't use SOC but I do send electronic newsletters 3 or 4x yearly. I also maintain a FB page with almost daily posts.

Every September my clients get an email reminder to update their drug information. I run PDP reports for all of them and usually suggest changes for 90% of them. Projected savings for 2018 range from less than $100 per year to over $4,000. One client would save $6,000 by changing. Average savings was around $700.

I get a lot of referrals because of this review. I took about 20 apps last AEP because of my PDP work.

So far this year I have written about a dozen apps from referrals.

My business model is all email and phone. Nothing by snail mail.

I do focus on personal service. (Not saying you don't). Clients can call or email anytime. I return emails the same day and phone calls no later than the next business day. Email responses go out as early as 6AM and as late as 11PM. Not everyday, but many of them. Email responses on weekends, holidays, etc.

All emails are tracked so I know if and when they are opened. Many of my emails are re-opened months after the fact.

The emails are very detailed and summarize our phone call with responses and links. Questions submitted by email receive answers with detail and links. If they keep their emails they get a lot of their repeat questions answered without a new call or email.

I don't know if this helps or not and it is hard for me to say why you are not getting referrals. Maybe someone else has more insight and suggestions.

I have a FB page and I created a Ohio Medicare FB group and I post Medicare stuff regularly, but I haven't got much business from it. Most of the folks that respond are tire kickers and many seem quite strange quite frankly. Have you had any success with your FB posts

Are you asking for referrals? Based on what you are saying, you should be getting more referrals. The next time one of the "thank you" calls come in, you need to say something like "You are so welcome. Would you mind doing me a favor? I am really trying to build my business this year. Next time one of your friends complain about Medicare or choosing a plan, would you give them mine name? I would really appreciate it".

Every completed app meeting should end with the same sentence.

With the exception of me networking with FP's, Somarco and I have almost identical models. 100% referral.

Every September, my client expect (and get) an email. "Its that time of year! I need an updated drug list".

I speak with every client between Oct 15 and Thanksgiving for an annual review.

Also, add thank you cards for referrals. Even if you don't sell it.

You are doing great. Slow and steady wins this race. Every time.

Yeah SOC is a great tool, Ive been using it my entire FE/Medicare career (6yrs now, wow), I touch base with ea client 2-3/yr & ALWAYS right before AEP. A lot are also on my email once/mo newsletter as well, but not all have/use a computer.

Like kgmom said, I too had to change a few cards to start ASKING for referrals now....its made some difference too. I dont typically call all my clients, but I speak to a good portion of them every yr from them calling me at some point or some that I do need to call. I wish I was more discipline to call everyone of them, but I dont.

The majority of my losses are death, moving & by far the #1 reason is DUALS....which I no longer go out of my way to write.

For SOC, I suggest sending them a Bday card, Xmas, AEP reminder & maybe a review (or to add additional products).

For SOC, I suggest sending them a Bday card, Xmas, AEP reminder & maybe a review (or to add additional products).
I don't do SOC, but I get the most comments, BY FAR, on my 4th of July cards. Like 25%. Which is also 2 months before they get the email, so the timing is nice.

I get a lot of calls right after my members get my SOC cards. They love them. They say they feel connected to me and my family because of the greeting cards. My retention is very good. I Rarely loose a member unless they die, or move and I don't even loose very many duals. My duals get a lot of my time and attention. Its the lack of referrals that is puzzling to me. I treat my referrees very well also. They get a personal thank you and a gift card as well. Maybe it is just a matter of time. I have only been independent for a little less than two years.

Back