Referral #s and SOC

I was a Humana captive agent for 3 years. I Had over 400 members and then I became a broker. Humana at that time allowed agents to become brokers and I processed about 300 AORs with those members so they came along with me. I have added about 150 since thru buying some DM leads and referrals. I stopped buying leads about a year ago and I am strictly running referrals. I average 2-3 referrals per month and I hoped it would be more than that after adding SOC last summer.

I don't get a lot of business from my FB BUSINESS page (not personal) but it does remind people I am still around and haven't croaked yet. Posting regularly, at least 2x daily, sometimes more keeps me on my toes.

I will put up one soliciting post for every 50 or so information or funny posts. Video's of dogs, cats and babies perform well. Everyone loves to laugh.

Also put up informational posts on any number of things.

Probably 90% of my "fans" are female and I try an post a recipe or two at least once a week but sometimes miss a week. Or two.

If everything you post is a solicitation or dry Medicare stuff no one will read, like and share.

Keep it light and entertaining.

I might write 5 apps a year directly from FB plus any referrals since many of my fans are also clients.

At 450 clients you definitely should be getting referrals. At the very least you should get 20 - 30 referrals from your clients. You may not close all of them and some may come later, but you should be getting referrals.

I got one this AM from a lady who is retiring in a year. We talked about 15 minutes. I addressed her current and future needs and timetable. Told her we should talk next Feb or March then followed up with an email . . . which she has read and probably put in her calendar.

Jen (kgmom) knows how to milk referrals better than most folks on the forum. Read some of her posts and make notes.

Every email that goes out to clients and prospects closes with this.

take care,

Referrals are ALWAYS appreciated!
My name
My phone
My email
My website
My FB page

You mention duals taking a lot of time. That is the very nature of that market which is one reason I don't work that segment.

I also don't have any clients who do not have a computer or email.

I doubt you will get many referrals from your duals.

As Jen and I both mentioned, we only write Medigap and help with PDP. That creates a different client profile from dual and most MA customers. Generally these folks are more educated and higher income. They expect and appreciate good information and client service.

The way we handle pre-AEP PDP reviews is like mining for gold.

It is time consuming but worth it.

Here is Jen's 4th of July card.

cc7c9abe625f22c02ffd4cd995145033.jpg

No, that is not kgmom.

Last edited:
Yes. I would think it I start working with more T65 age ins, they will be able to refer me to their friends and neighbors that will be T65 soon as well. Very few of my current members were acquired as age ins so they are not around a lot of other people needing to enroll in an MAPD or buy a supplement. I also think the demographic I work with has something to do with it having a circle of friends that they associate with. And very few have computers so it is harder for me to do any kind of mass emails. I am going to join a networking group that has a financial advisor. He already asked me to do a presentation to his clients. That will generate some more Med Supp business. The more Med Supp business, the more referrals. We will see anyway.

Y I am going to join a networking group that has a financial advisor. He already asked me to do a presentation to his clients. That will generate some more Med Supp business. The more Med Supp business, the more referrals. We will see anyway.

AWESOME!!!

And ask for referrals to other advisors. Do the presentation for them too. Even if its a one on one in their office. Then they know what they are sending their clients to.

Sell it as "There are 5 trees cut down for the amount of paper that every senior receives when they turn 64 and a half. And that doesn't count the phone calls. 95% of the mail they receive is from other advisors who want to roll their 401K. Do you want them talking to me, who only does Medicare or someone random guy?"

Ask them to send an email (that you create) to all of their clients on their 64th birthday. The sales cycle may be longer than you are use to, but it is worth it. A lot of these will start with calls/emails that begin "I'm not planning on retiring, what do I need to do?" And that's ok. Tell them the rules and ask when you can follow up. Add them to the SOC list for holiday and 4th of July cards.

Also, get on top of the IRMAA rules and appeal process. People with financial planners tend to deal with IRMAA quite a bit.

Sid Walker advocates SOC as well. Here's his training video. It may be helpful for others.

If you wanted to sign up for SOC with Sid Walker, you can do so here, although I'm sure there are others on the forum one could sign up with.
Prompt Editor

Note: I am not affiliated with Sid Walker. Just sharing the info.

AWESOME!!!

And ask for referrals to other advisors. Do the presentation for them too. Even if its a one on one in their office. Then they know what they are sending their clients to.

Sell it as "There are 5 trees cut down for the amount of paper that every senior receives when they turn 64 and a half. And that doesn't count the phone calls. 95% of the mail they receive is from other advisors who want to roll their 401K. Do you want them talking to me, who only does Medicare or someone random guy?"

Ask them to send an email (that you create) to all of their clients on their 64th birthday. The sales cycle may be longer than you are use to, but it is worth it. A lot of these will start with calls/emails that begin "I'm not planning on retiring, what do I need to do?" And that's ok. Tell them the rules and ask when you can follow up. Add them to the SOC list for holiday and 4th of July cards.

Also, get on top of the IRMAA rules and appeal process. People with financial planners tend to deal with IRMAA quite a bit.
Gold ^^ :noteworthy:

Back