Requesting Help with a Life Insurance Case Study

titeye

Guru
A friend of the family for over 50 years text me seeking advice on a $70,000 UL policy that she purchased in 1998. It appears as though the policy was never properly funded, which is often the case. Recently, she received a letter informing her that if she continues paying the $64.58 monthly, which is the average premium paid over the past 2 years, the policy is projected to lapse in the year 2030, assuming an interest rate of 4%. At that time, she will be 74 years of age (currently 65).
The notice suggests that if she increases her payment to $224,assuming an interest rate of 4%, the policy is projected to last 12 additional years, terminating in 2042. This is the route she is considering and asks for my thoughts. Although this additional premium will increase her cash value initially, the policy is still projected to lapse at age 86. This Friday, I am meeting with her to determine what her need was for $70,000 back in 1998, and her need today. However, here is where I am in my current analysis:

As of the 02/2020 statement, the CV was $8,373. Premium payments for the year were $775. Her COI was $1,019, and admin. and policy fee was $60. Interest credited was $329. As of the most recent statement, dated 2/2021, the ending CV was $8,397. The net effect, a gain of only $23. As time goes on, the COI will eat up all the CV, regardless of whether or not she increases the premium. It's only a matter of when.

Since she has $8,373 of CV, effectively she is buying $61,627 of term coverage for 9-21 years, depending on whether or not she increases her payment to $2,688 annually, or $56,448 over for the next 21 years.
Her 2 children are adult men, with their own families and doing well financially. Several years ago, a huge promotion afforded her the purchase of a bigger house, along with a mortgage. I'm almost positive that leaving an insurance policy for her adult children to keep the house or pay taxes on qualified assets is no longer important, if that was its intended purpose. They are all an extension of my family, so I know them well enough that maintaining her lifestyle upon retiring is the #1 priority, whenever that is.

1. My guess is that she no longer needs $70,000 for the same reasons now, as she did 23 years ago. Unless her net worth has improved significantly, all she should need is adequate coverage for burial.
2. If she goes the route she's considering, it's the same as flushing $65,000 (CV + Prem.) down the toilet, provided she survives the term. I don't see myself supporting that decision.
3. For the same amount she's willing to increase her UL premiums for temporary protection, she can reduce her need down to $30,000 of WL. Reinvest the CV of $8,373 to potentially produce $67,783 in the same 21 years. If death comes knocking afterwards, she passes on approx. $100,000.
4. There may exists the possibility of reducing her UL down to a guaranteed no-lapse level adequate for funeral or burial purposes.

Have I overlooked any opportunities that would make this existing policy work efficiently for her?

I think you have a sound understanding of her situation.

One thought: The latest new law regarding minimum interest rates on insurance contracts... I don't recall if it can affect previously issued contracts? Could that 4% be reduced to 2%? (I simply can't recall and I'm not going to look it up now.)

That would just make staying in the policy even worse when we factor in the increasing costs of insurance over time.

I like your idea on #3.

Only statement I dont agree with is 'Flushing down the toilet's. She didn't die. This currently is no different than a term policy that has reached its term. It is time to celebrate.
Fed,
I meant that if she continues, she would lose the current CV, plus any new premiums added over the next 21 years. When the boys were 21 years younger and she first got the mortgage, term would have been ideal and even this UL served its purpose. I was saying that I doubt if she has a temporary need for insurance going forward. With a policy that takes lapsing out of the equation, I concluded that she wins regardless of how long she lives from this point forward. Talking this through is exactly what I needed.

Don't forget to consider her potential LTC needs. Especially if maintaining post retirement lifestyle is important. Check to see if her existing policy has any accelerated DB for critical or chronic health conditions. Some carriers, Foresters comes to mind, automatically build those benefits into their base policies. If she no longer needs the death benefit of a straight UL, it might be advantageous to roll over her existing CV into a life/LTC hybrid.

A friend of the family for over 50 years text me seeking advice on a $70,000 UL policy that she purchased in 1998. It appears as though the policy was never properly funded, which is often the case. Recently, she received a letter informing her that if she continues paying the $64.58 monthly, which is the average premium paid over the past 2 years, the policy is projected to lapse in the year 2030, assuming an interest rate of 4%. At that time, she will be 74 years of age (currently 65).
The notice suggests that if she increases her payment to $224,assuming an interest rate of 4%, the policy is projected to last 12 additional years, terminating in 2042. This is the route she is considering and asks for my thoughts. Although this additional premium will increase her cash value initially, the policy is still projected to lapse at age 86. This Friday, I am meeting with her to determine what her need was for $70,000 back in 1998, and her need today. However, here is where I am in my current analysis:

As of the 02/2020 statement, the CV was $8,373. Premium payments for the year were $775. Her COI was $1,019, and admin. and policy fee was $60. Interest credited was $329. As of the most recent statement, dated 2/2021, the ending CV was $8,397. The net effect, a gain of only $23. As time goes on, the COI will eat up all the CV, regardless of whether or not she increases the premium. It's only a matter of when.

Since she has $8,373 of CV, effectively she is buying $61,627 of term coverage for 9-21 years, depending on whether or not she increases her payment to $2,688 annually, or $56,448 over for the next 21 years.
Her 2 children are adult men, with their own families and doing well financially. Several years ago, a huge promotion afforded her the purchase of a bigger house, along with a mortgage. I'm almost positive that leaving an insurance policy for her adult children to keep the house or pay taxes on qualified assets is no longer important, if that was its intended purpose. They are all an extension of my family, so I know them well enough that maintaining her lifestyle upon retiring is the #1 priority, whenever that is.

1. My guess is that she no longer needs $70,000 for the same reasons now, as she did 23 years ago. Unless her net worth has improved significantly, all she should need is adequate coverage for burial.
2. If she goes the route she's considering, it's the same as flushing $65,000 (CV + Prem.) down the toilet, provided she survives the term. I don't see myself supporting that decision.
3. For the same amount she's willing to increase her UL premiums for temporary protection, she can reduce her need down to $30,000 of WL. Reinvest the CV of $8,373 to potentially produce $67,783 in the same 21 years. If death comes knocking afterwards, she passes on approx. $100,000.
4. There may exists the possibility of reducing her UL down to a guaranteed no-lapse level adequate for funeral or burial purposes.

Have I overlooked any opportunities that would make this existing policy work efficiently for her?

Great analysis. I always like to look at the ULs in that condition as term just like you did & figure out cost to keep by using both current CV & future premiums

If she is insurable, you could look at her buying a Single payment life policy with her current CV by 1035 exchange to to a no lapse UL or SPWL that likely could get her around 20-25k face guaranteed forever. Then,you could get get 10/15/20 year level term with the $224 per month or a combo small WL with term rider. This could accomplish 2 things.

1. Assures the existing CV provides a guaranteed death benefit forever instead of being used up in the UL
2. Level term or combo permanent/term rider will lock in her premium at newly UW rates instead of ART increasing COI renewal rates inside the UL.

Or, like you said, you might use the premium to buy smaller face permanent, but I think the above starts a nice direct comparison to show how the CV used for buying a policy & new level term buys way more coverage than UL is providing currently

Nice work in my mind

I think you have a sound understanding of her situation.

One thought: The latest new law regarding minimum interest rates on insurance contracts... I don't recall if it can affect previously issued contracts? Could that 4% be reduced to 2%? (I simply can't recall and I'm not going to look it up now.)

That would just make staying in the policy even worse when we factor in the increasing costs of insurance over time.

I like your idea on #3.

It doesn't impact inforce policies. Also, it isn't necessarily that the interest rate of policies will he reduced to 2% but that many of the tax calculations for how much premium may fit in a policy will be based on lower standard interest rates

Reactions: DHK
Back