Roommate waited 5 months to get an estimate done on car i scratched. What the best thing to do?

I was half right. My son's college roommate is exact same. He is still awake when my son gets up to go to work at 7am. Then he sleeps til 3 everyday. But weed is his vice. Good luck with all of this.

You can always blow it off & make him take you to small claims court. Are you even sure his car was even insured? Not that it matters because you technically hit his property not his car like would be the case if his car was moving at the time, etc

At this point I have no idea if he's insured lol. Everytime i bought up insurance he didnt really respond.

First Im gonna get him to do a second estimate with me present. And if he doesn't wanna do that or insists on the higher amount, thats when he go screw himself and he'll have to go through claims court.

Another detail: he has been radio silent everytime I have bought up insurance claims. In the email he sent me, he specifically stated he wanted a to be paid directly. Then, when I texted him that I would like to at least try and pursue an insurance claim first he was did not respond. I am 90% sure that he never even contacted my insurance, he though I gave him my info right after the incident.
That combined with the weird time gap is shady as shit, at least to me.
Sounds like a case for Judge Judy. :yes:

I will try and get pictures when I see his car again. However from what I remember I only scraped his bumper while pulling into my spot.

He's your roommate. Presumably he and his car live at the same place you and your car live. When he and his car are at home, take your camera phone outside and take photos of the other 3 damage areas listed in the estimate.

Another detail: he has been radio silent everytime I have bought up insurance claims. In the email he sent me, he specifically stated he wanted a to be paid directly. Then, when I texted him that I would like to at least try and pursue an insurance claim first he was did not respond.

You both live under the same roof and you're texting and emailing. Jeez. smh.

I am 90% sure that he never even contacted my insurance, he though I gave him my info right after the incident.

You're supposed to report the claim to your insurance company promptly after it happened. Read your policy. It says so.

So I did call my insurance agent, but I was told by their office that I had to wait for other person to submit their information to file the claim.

Bull's Hit. That's why you don't report claims to your agent. You report claims to the claims department. There is a toll free number somewhere in your policy papers. The claims office would have opened a file, assigned it to an adjuster who would have contacted you both for statements, inspected the car, and wrote an estimate, thereby protecting you against bogus claims for unrelated damage which is what you pay premiums for.

Oddly enough he doesnt really do weed. He is an alcoholic though. He is just a lazy POS. It took months to pay his share of the deposit for the lease and getting rent from him is a nightmare.He usually doesnt get up until like 2 pm and his room is constantly trashed.

You have only yourself to blame by allowing him to stay, or staying with him, under those conditions.

He's your roommate. Presumably he and his car live at the same place you and your car live. When he and his car are at home, take your camera phone outside and take photos of the other 3 damage areas listed in the estimate.

You both live under the same roof and you're texting and emailing. Jeez. smh.

You're supposed to report the claim to your insurance company promptly after it happened. Read your policy. It says so.

Bull's Hit. That's why you don't report claims to your agent. You report claims to the claims department. There is a toll free number somewhere in your policy papers. The claims office would have opened a file, assigned it to an adjuster who would have contacted you both for statements, inspected the car, and wrote an estimate, thereby protecting you against bogus claims for unrelated damage which is what you pay premiums for.

You have only yourself to blame by allowing him to stay, or staying with him, under those conditions.

Yeah I'm 100% a dumbass for getting this taken of sooner. I really should have been more aggressive about getting it done sooner but I got complacent with it.

Also just a point of information, we're doing email rn because we are both in college and visiting family over break. I sure as hell wouldnt be trying to figure this shit out over the phone if I had another choice lol. Its also why I cant get photos of the car right now as well.

Back