Selling ACA Plans Independently

carlosb1694

I know that the traditional sales agent for plans during the on exchange market or what 90% of the American population refer to it as, Obamacare is done in a call or enrollment center. I have done this gig before and you can make some very good money if your company is contracted with the right carriers. The companies usually provide the leads, dialers, and the other things required and thus you make pretty low commissions on these sales. Getting to my point, has anyone sold ACA plans independently from home or an office so that they can have a higher percentage of the commissions?

Yesterday, the day before, and week from Last Thursday ................................................................... .........are the only days I showered.

I know that the traditional sales agent for plans during the on exchange market or what 90% of the American population refer to it as, Obamacare is done in a call or enrollment center. I have done this gig before and you can make some very good money if your company is contracted with the right carriers. The companies usually provide the leads, dialers, and the other things required and thus you make pretty low commissions on these sales. Getting to my point, has anyone sold ACA plans independently from home or an office so that they can have a higher percentage of the commissions?

I dont think that would be a problem since more business is placed by indy agents working from home than all the call centers combined.

Though right now is the worst time to try and market ACA plans.

Welcome to the forum Carlos! Where the jokes and sarcasm are only second to the information available.

Yes, there are many agents here who are independent and selling indy successfully.

You really have to be kidding, right?

I doubt there is a single agent that regularly posts on this forum that works in a call center, we are both independent and successful.

You really have to be kidding, right?

I doubt there is a single agent that regularly posts on this forum that works in a call center, we are both independent and successful.

FLM, I would love to be an independent agent, but there is somewhat of a large capital investment that you need in order to do so. With that being said, I've trying to work at a call center now to get some experience and where I know that the leads I'm getting, whether they are the best in the world or not, are not being deducted from my checks. My commissions are crap for the amount of hours I put in to the job, but I still average about 1k a week during the regular year and about 2.5k during the 12 weeks of open enrollment. If I were to meet an agent that was highly successful selling ACA plans on his/her own during open enrollment, I would love to learn from them. Was just wondering what kind of money some agents were making and how many clients they were enrolling during open enrollment. When I get the capital and of course, the experience, independent agent is definitely the way I want to go.

Thanks for all the help, and sarcasm ladies and gents! lol

I've now spent two enrollment periods selling plans on the exchange. A bit of advise I wouldn't recommend leaving your job right now to focus on selling those types of plans only. Now while the total commission over all can be nice the companies I offer pay on a as earned basis. Which in order for you to have a decent income to manage your own personal bills you'd need a few hundred people to enroll. If you're considering leaving your job to solely focus on Obamacare I'd start marketing to people a few months before the next enrollment period begins in November. There will be upkeep which includes but not limited too helping them make payments, submit documents that the marketplace is requesting and following up with your clients to make sure they have a understanding of how their plan works. You can also start looking riser up events and see if there's a location you can rent at a low cost. As for shopping for E&O as a life and health agent you can find some where you make a initial down payment then pay the rest in installments.

FLM, I would love to be an independent agent, but there is somewhat of a large capital investment that you need in order to do so. With that being said, I've trying to work at a call center now to get some experience and where I know that the leads I'm getting, whether they are the best in the world or not, are not being deducted from my checks. My commissions are crap for the amount of hours I put in to the job, but I still average about 1k a week during the regular year and about 2.5k during the 12 weeks of open enrollment. If I were to meet an agent that was highly successful selling ACA plans on his/her own during open enrollment, I would love to learn from them. Was just wondering what kind of money some agents were making and how many clients they were enrolling during open enrollment. When I get the capital and of course, the experience, independent agent is definitely the way I want to go.

Thanks for all the help, and sarcasm ladies and gents! lol

The only large capital investment needed to be successful is your own sweat equity and enough years to build a substantial book of business, it can't be purchased because commissions are so low it isn't practical to purchase leads.

The time is well past where developing an independent business makes sense, you are really wasting your time addressing this market. Those of us who have been in the market for a number of years have something you can never achieve-a loyal book of business based on performance and client relationships; the short open enrollment period isn't nearly enough time to build that kind of loyalty at this late date.

Last edited:
Back