Sept FTC Ban on Voice Broadcasting Includes Any Telephone #

It is good time to start a telemarketing services for insurance or any other field. I bet that high cost of marketing will filter through to consumers.

How is that going to happen? Name one carrier that ever raised their rates (or paid a higher commission) because the cost of sales TO their indie sales force went up?

I wish I was wrong, but I don't see how.

Al

How is that going to happen? Name one carrier that ever raised their rates (or paid a higher commission) because the cost of sales TO their indie sales force went up?

I wish I was wrong, but I don't see how.

Al

Al, I just love how you're always looking at the positive side of things!

Our friends at Arcadian Health Plans opened their very tight purse strings to throw out some extra marketing dollars for their top performers in light of the changes in the Medicare Advantage commission structures. I'll agree with you when you say that's an isolated incident, but occasionally carriers do try to help out their agents.

I think it's entirely possible that something is getting lost in translation here. The do-not-call registry rules, enacted by the FTC, are to protect consumers. In our vernacular "consumer" is the same as "c" in a "b2c" campaign, meaning a business to consumer. When we're calling other businesses, "b2b", we don't have to scrub against the do not call list because the FTC doesn't have any jurisdiction over it. The "consumer" that is talked about in the legislation is th "c" in a b2c campaign. For example, you shouldn't VB businesses and play a message asking the first person that answers the phone if they'd like to extend their car warranty, but if your message was asking them if their business would like to save on their group health insurance that is absolutely not a consumer, but a business.

Since a part of what I do is run a small call center, it'd be better for me if it was banned altogether. With all due respect, I think the point of confusion you and your attorney may have had was the definition of "consumer" as it pertains to the FTC.

Hope this helps, but if you still don't want to use your autodialers feel free to contact me and I could get you going with a team of live telemarketers calling for you in less than two weeks. :biggrin:

Think what you wish - I'm just going by the "interpretation" that was explained by a FTC division head to my Attorney on Friday.

No where does this ruling mention the DNC nor does it specify "residential" - it states "consumer."

Feel free to interpret it as you wish. Be sure to put back a few grand to cover the fines and court costs of defending your "interpretation.

It is good time to start a telemarketing services for insurance or any other field. I bet that high cost of marketing will filter through to consumers.

Yea right.

A good time to start a unique direct mail solution and get out of telecom lead biz quickly.

Yea right.

A good time to start a unique direct mail solution and get out of telecom lead biz quickly.
the FTC only bans the autodialer, not predictive dialer. Why not using the telemarketer to do the dialing and get leads? I think if we use the predictive dialer properly, it should be cheaper with predictive dialer than the direct mail drop solution.

No where does this ruling mention the DNC nor does it specify "residential" - it states "consumer."
Feel free to interpret it as you wish. Be sure to put back a few grand to cover the fines and court costs of defending your "interpretation.

I'm not going to lose any skin on the deal because I've never really done too much with autodialers, but you're missing my point. The point is that the DNC is to protect "consumers" using the same definition of "consumer" that the new law does. Check out Federal Trade Commission - The Do Not Call Registry if you'd like, but the language "consumer" is what they used on that and we don't need to scrub businesses against the DNC lists. If you end up on the phone with your attorney sometime and feel like asking him why we don't need to use the DNC registry to scrub the numbers of business off our marketing lists, but the new ban affects the same group referred to as "consumers" I think you'd find his explanation of the difference between the two interesting because there is none.

We won't be able to broadcast. Vendors will have to use a predictive dialer and just have human intervention,

Rates just increased I imagine . . .

are you up with mojosells????? If a client answers...the agent picks up the line, otherwise a message is left???? where does that stand?

I wouldn't leave a message.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm not going to lose any skin on the deal because I've never really done too much with autodialers, but you're missing my point. The point is that the DNC is to protect "consumers" using the same definition of "consumer" that the new law does. Check out Federal Trade Commission - The Do Not Call Registry if you'd like, but the language "consumer" is what they used on that and we don't need to scrub businesses against the DNC lists. If you end up on the phone with your attorney sometime and feel like asking him why we don't need to use the DNC registry to scrub the numbers of business off our marketing lists, but the new ban affects the same group referred to as "consumers" I think you'd find his explanation of the difference between the two interesting because there is none.

Proceed if you wish. It's your 16K per call not ours. I'll tell you this - counsel from a VM company I've been using for blasts came back last Thurs and said "robocalls" cannot be used, period - residential or BtoB. They stopped all campaigns.

It'll be those calls you're making "BtoB" that actually go to a residence that'll cause the liability. "I didn't know" or blaming it on the list will not get you out of the fine.

Last edited:
Thx, Rick.

Obamastimulus has or will save or create 3M new or old jobs.

He said it.

I believe it.

That settles it.

Back