Short term disability eligibility

listedmia

Hello. I broke my fibula outside of work about 3 months ago and I didn't have any short term disability insurance, but I plan on getting it through my employer in a couple of months.

It is possible that the leg will need surgery if it doesn't heal properly, which could put me out of work for about two months.

Is it likely that I wouldn't get that covered by short-term disability due to it being a pre-existing injury?

Thanks

Hello. I broke my fibula outside of work about 3 months ago and I didn't have any short term disability insurance, but I plan on getting it through my employer in a couple of months.

It is possible that the leg will need surgery if it doesn't heal properly, which could put me out of work for about two months.

Is it likely that I wouldn't get that covered by short-term disability due to it being a pre-existing injury?

Thanks
Group may cover pre-existing conditions. It depends on a number of factors (the policy itself, how long after coverage is elected the claim is made, and other conditions).

Individual will not.

Guardians SafeGuard 360 Product will cover a pre-existing condition starting in y3 of the policy.

But you have to be actively employed to qualify at time of application. So not relevant to the OP.

Okay, thank you. Does getting it through an employer with it being deducted from my paycheck count as a group plan?

Okay, thank you. Does getting it through an employer with it being deducted from my paycheck count as a group plan?
Normally.

There are some voluntary plans that are payroll deduction that while considered "group" don't fall into the same category in terms of flexibility that I described above.

You should request the policy's explanation of benefits to make sure that you'd be covered before buying it.

I mean, you should probably buy it anyway (and your long-term disability if available) because you never know what can happen but unfortunately you've already found that out.

Back