Silent investor questions

Negotiate with them to get the best deal that you can.

I would probably not want to give them a portion of the business unless there was a significant chance the business would not make it. If business failure was a significant potential, than it might be in your best interest to give this away rather than interest.

For most insurance agencies though, especially if you have cash flow, a loan might be preferred.

That all being said the silent investor will have their opinion.

I would hope I wasn't doing commission splits with an unlicensed person so If I think silent partner there is an entity formed and paid through the entity otherwise if things go bad the investor might not be silent much longer.

How do i compensate a silent investor that is strictly being used as a loan? pay back loan plus interest? or % of the business? or any other suggestions?

LostDollar was correct. Treat investors as a investor and treat lenders as lenders.

Figure it out and draw up a proper agreement along with the exit "buy out" clause so you can pay them off and buy them out at any time.

Either they accept or they don't.

And clearly, that wasn’t very intelligent.

I don't think that is a correct statement.

I suspect you are not privy to the restaurant owner's business experience and current life situation at the time of the asset transfer, so I don't believe you are in a position to place your value judgement on his decision.

I don't believe predatory greed is the sole extant driver of human choice and action.

My point is that investing in small businesses is extremely high risk. You invest in 10 and expect 9 or 10 to fail. The one that makes it has to provide an ample return for all 10.

Just getting interest on a loan won’t do it. You need a piece of the action.

In most deals of this nature I’ve seen, the investor gets his money out first and then shares profits.

There are a million good ideas and ambitious people. Investors are a lot rarer. They have a right to expect a high return for high risk.

Back