Somebody Want to Break the Bad News?

It sounds so dirty when you say it that way.

Moving right along .........

I have a client with Cigna that did not provide (was not asked?) for SSN on their Ocare plan. They got a letter from Cigna asking for SSN for all family members ............ so they can report to the IRS.

Just saying.

SSN's are optional at hc.gov

So is the IRS info.

please explain............

The system was designed to be implemented with the Medicaid expansion. Those states that did not expand, have left a proportion of their population in limbo. This family seems to fall into that category.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just a statement of fact.

Last edited:
The system was designed to be implemented with the Medicare expansion. Those states that did not expand, have left a proportion of their population in limbo. This family seems to fall into that category.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just a statement of fact.

Where in the US can you qualify for medicaid if you and your spouse are working and offered group health insurance?

----------

They'd have to answer that question incorrectly (or lie) on the initial application in order to qualify for the subsidy in the first place. We presume they would answer that same question the same way on their tax filing. They might answer correctly and incriminate themselves, but I'd bet they don't.

The question was, how does the IRS catch this (saying group coverage isn't available, but it is)? The answer is the employer's reporting, which is voluntary this year and mandatory next year.a

Ray why are you being so stubborn about this, I told you and Blue told you how it will come out. The carrier reports and they have new forms that must be filed THIS year with their return. Have you read the new tax forms????

What you're saying is everybody that lied about spousal coverage to get subsidies will not get caught or have to pay anything back this year.
I disagree!

implemented with the Medicare expansion.

Medicaid ...................

Medicaid is a federal program implemented by the states. Forcing states to alter eligibility was not allowed by the courts.

FWIW, Obamacare framers also thought states would jump on the bandwagon and create their own exchanges.

If you think it is screwed up now imagine what a mess if we had 50 exchanges.

Clearly the people that designed this had no clue what they were doing.

Where in the US can you qualify for medicaid if you and your spouse are working and offered group health insurance?

Massachusetts

----------

Medicaid ...................

Medicaid is a federal program implemented by the states. Forcing states to alter eligibility was not allowed by the courts.

FWIW, Obamacare framers also thought states would jump on the bandwagon and create their own exchanges.

If you think it is screwed up now imagine what a mess if we had 50 exchanges.

Clearly the people that designed this had no clue what they were doing.

I didn't say they SHOULD be allowed to force the expansion, just that they had ASSumed it when it was written.

I agre they had no idea what they were getting into or how to go about it...and there's too much bickering for anyone to fix it.

too much bickering for anyone to fix it.

It is hopelessly broken and Obama and company broke it.

What we had wasn't perfect but better than anything else out there.

We are stuck with this mess and no amount of patches or tweaking will make it work.

Latest posts

Back