State Farm Homeowner's policy? Am I missing something?

Remus2010

Hello,

I worked in a State Farm office for 11 years and maybe something has changed since I went to an independent (or I never knew this to begin with).

I am in Michigan

I am going to be insuring someone who currently has State Farm and he is insisting that his homeowner's policy covers his atv and motorcycles while they are in his garage or while in use on his property. The agent staff he spoke with called him back with that information today.

I am less concerned about writing this policy than I am that this may not be accurate information.

I am unaware of the atv or bikes being covered if they are destroyed or stolen without having an actual policy on them? Am I missing something?

Please let me know.

Thank you

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I watched a video today of a guy that was convinced he was abducted by aliens. Apparently he even fought them too. Seemed pretty convinced.

The policy may treat them the same as a lawn mower so long as he does not leave the property. If there is a claim off property there is no coverage. Liability is also an issue.

I am unaware of the atv or bikes being covered if they are destroyed or stolen without having an actual policy on them? Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something.

The following is quoted from a State Farm homeowners policy (FP-7955)

Coverage B - Personal Property
2. Property Not Covered. We do not cover:
c. any engine or motor propelled vehicle or machine, including the parts, designed for movement on land. We do cover those not licensed for use on public highways which are:
(1) used solely to service the insured location; or
(2) designed for assisting the handicapped;

You can show him that in the policy I have uploaded or ask him to bring you his own policy. The State Farm wording is different from the standard ISO HO-3 form but the results are essentially the same.

If the vehicles are licensed for road use they are not covered. If they are not licensed and they are used to service the insured location or assist the handicapped they are covered.

Attachments

• State Farm Homeowners FP-7955.pdf
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
My money is on the motorcycle not being covered at all on Home owners as you would have a difficult time saying it is used to service the premises like can be said for lawn tractor or plow or John deere. ATV might be on premises only for liability.

Regardless, michigan is the last state to roll the dice on this especially if bike or ATV ever makes it 1 inch on neighbors property, a sidewalk or street. Better to go with a massive deductible or under insure the total replacement cost of the dwelling before risking a liability or medical claim connected to use of ATV or motorcycle.

Schedule ATV on HO for liability only at least & get at least liability on motorcycle to avoid catastrophe.

Back