State Farm Offer

Re: State Farm Offer.

...and if you don't think the criteria and quotas are different for different agents, you need to get your head back in the sunshine. I have seen Tica's kept that didn't produce near the amount others that were "let go" did.

You say "The older and complacent leadership is as much or more of the problem as the older agents"

Older agents are those who made the company what it is today and paved the way for new agents to get those guaranteed big start up costs.

As a scratch agent in a small town, my total monetary "help" from SF was $800 a month and I had to pay that back with current applications in order to validate. So.... in essence I was given ZERO since I paid it back.

New agents today are given ridiculous sums... up to $12,000.00 per month that I am aware of. And...they don't have to pay it back.

Having said all that.... Please enlighten me as to how "older" agents are a problem.

I'm not a new agent, but I will enlighten you on the fact that the new agents are not getting those big perks anymore. Those perks were handed out to the guys on my contract as part of Agency 2000 and it was nice I must admit. The new TICA agents are not getting this and are really struggling in some cases and this is why they are upset.

I will agree with you that the old guys are the ones that made this company and our hats are off to you. However, times are changing and many of the older agents are refusing to change so that creates a serious problem. I know plenty of older agents that are changing with the times and that is great. However, older management is definitely out of the loop. They have been in management to long and only remember agency as a distant memory, when things were very different.

Again, we appreciate what you have done for SF. My loyalty is always to the agent and what you did to build this company.;)

No sorry you do NOT understand the tica's plight. You had the co pay your expenses the first two years. Many ticas are not as experienced at business like I am as I am not some 25 year old just out of college. Tica's made travel at an almost 2/1 rate over AA97' s in my region and why? Because we had 3-4 staff when you had 2. Most AA97's had to sell about 18 (life & health) policies ea month total and they were okay, the AFO basicall left them alone except to say "sell more". Back then the MLD with a teenager or young person actually paid for itself with a 5yr $50K term life policy. You know what I mean costs $14 a month and the saved them $15.75.

What is one of the top if not #1 reason for divorce? Yes its financial issues and stress from them. I know several TICA agents that ended up divorced and two that went BK due to the companies GRAPE KOOL-Aid. You AA97's don't have a clue to the TICA struggle or even how the AA05 deal works, really you are ignorant in these posts and it shows. My post is not meant to be harsh to you but its like someone telling a front line soldier that he/she is fighting hard enough when you are 20 miles behind enemy lines.

Now tell me what you know about what they are getting ready to do in the next few days or weeks for TICA that started after 1/1/06. You know how much $ they are soon getting and why? Let's try anywhere up to $35,000 and current ticas will get an extra $12,000( included in the previous total) when they sign their regular contract in addition to the sign on bonus. WHY because NEW agents are leaving in record, I said RECORD NUMBERS. Now the agents that started in 2004 and 2005 are just S-O-L. Now these are still rumors but we will know by the end of the month. Why would the co pay them back pay and an extra bonus. Now we won't get it because they think if we have made it this long we won't quit, or file a class action against them. Then they better think again.

Why would they be throwing all that $$$$ to them ? Why come on what is your answer. Look I don't mean to be a jerk to fastrack I know he has had many of the same or similar struggles we tica's have had, but bottom line he did not have this contract. Ask any agent would they switch for your contract to mine and you wouldn't get one hand raised. Just like when they got about 40% of agents to switch off the AA3/4 to the AA97. Now you have talked to them and everyone that switched I have ever talked to regretted it. Good luck but I am finished discussing this issue with anyone unless they are a AA04/AA05 or tica. I had 2 more guys I knew that started in 2004 just leave the co, both had traveled and were good producers and still making less than 30% of what they were SHOWN they should make.

I understand the situation that you new TICA's are in, but it is a little extreme to blame SF for your divorces and ruined lives. If you divorced over your failed business, then you didn't have a good marriage to start with. If the rest of your life is ruined over your failed business, then you don't have the stomach to be a small business owner (most fail, remember?) If you bought a lie when you started, you should have done more research. You contributed to your problem, not just SF. I'm sure the AFE's lied to you, but don't most recruiters who are trying to sign someone up for a business? You got taken and now your looking for someone to blame.

What do you want the company to do? Because you made a bad decision, you want them to pay off all your debt? You should go work for the government because you would fit in great.

I don't mind the bashing of SF, because they do make mistakes, but your divorce, bankruptcy, and ruined life is your own fault. :cry:

Why would they be throwing all that $$$$ to them ? Why come on what is your answer. Look I don't mean to be a jerk to fastrack I know he has had many of the same or similar struggles we tica's have had, but bottom line he did not have this contract. Ask any agent would they switch for your contract to mine and you wouldn't get one hand raised. Just like when they got about 40% of agents to switch off the AA3/4 to the AA97. Now you have talked to them and everyone that switched I have ever talked to regretted it. Good luck but I am finished discussing this issue with anyone unless they are a AA04/AA05 or tica. I had 2 more guys I knew that started in 2004 just leave the co, both had traveled and were good producers and still making less than 30% of what they were SHOWN they should make.

Again, I know your gripes are valid in your situation, but you represent this like this is what all TICA's go through. I know several personally that are doing well. I have asked them if they would do it again and they say "yes." I also know some that aren't doing well. I also would NEVER switch my contract to yours. I'm not crazy. The majority of agents that I know that switched from AA3/4 to the AA97 are happy with that decision. Some are not, of course.

My only point was that SF is not to blame for all your problems. Obviously not enough due diligence was done as there were plenty of TICA agents to poll when you started and if it was really this bad, they would have scared you off. I understand that SF is going to throw some money at the new guys. Well, that is great. Shows that SF will at least attempt to resolve a situation or try to fix a mistake that they made. A lot of companies would never do that. The moral of the story? Get all your facts and make a BUSINESS decision before you go into a SF agency. DON'T drink the "grape koolade" as you say, just because everybody else does. THINK and MAKE DECISIONS for yourself. I realize you are done arguing with me, but my impression is that you are a poor business person (although it sounds like you are a great salesman. The problem is they are not the same). The minute I think SF is no longer a good deal for me, I will walk away. I'm not a SF freak. I have other businesses that I have started so that all my eggs aren't in one basket. I've had growth and income issues with SF, but I draw income from more than one place, because I have a PLAN in place and BACKUP plans if that doesn't work. Again....smart business.

I really do wish you the best of luck at whatever you end up doing. If you were that good of a salesperson, you can make your money anywhere and you really don't need SF. Take care.

I was ONE of the FIRST tica's in my state when I started there were no other TICA's in agency just in training and licensing.

Again anyone that is considering agency with this COMPANY talk to at least 10 agents that started in 2004 and 2005.

there were plenty of TICA agents to poll when you started and if it was really this bad, they would have scared you off. .

I have talked to over 100 ticas that started in 2004 and 2005 and of the ones left + the ones that left AFTER they got their so called permanent contract. over 2/3 said they would NOT do it again. The AA04 was new to us. We did talk to a lot of agents before we started and it was a good thing & it was and is on the 97 and earlier deals. Tell me how many agents (what %) take a cut after going off default, I know the answer do you know what default is, you didn't have it ? The real problems were mostly discovered after default came off. How would you like me to take 2.5% on your fire and 1.5% on your auto is you had an "average" year. Thats what happened to many ticas I know, one bad year and they were in peril.

Good luck to you as well.

Again, I know your gripes are valid in your situation, but you represent this like this is what all TICA's go through. I know several personally that are doing well. I have asked them if they would do it again and they say "yes." I also know some that aren't doing well. I also would NEVER switch my contract to yours. I'm not crazy. The majority of agents that I know that switched from AA3/4 to the AA97 are happy with that decision. Some are not, of course.

This post is 100% correct. I know many that are exaclty in this exact circumstance. This post says a lot and it`s all true. Word is they are going to do something but only for agents that started 1/1/06 or after. The agents that started before the ones that have had the hardest time will be left out in the cold. Watch for the announcment coming out of corporate soon and see how many more people say enough is enough.

My AFE could NOT explain the AA04 contract to anyone for the first year and a half it was out there he just said " call ASR" and that`s about it.

I am a SF agent under current contract. Talk to agents under current contract, different from who the recruiters send you to. I was recruited under a misleading illustration that is no longer used. Try and find an agent that is making any money since 2004...who wasn't given a larger than normal book. Might be tough; it is not a very trusting environment for agents. Messengers get shot. Unfortunately, customers usually figure out when agents aren't respected.

Almost all of the newer agents that I know feel mislead, and would not do this if this "opportunity" was illustrated as an opportunity that creates debt, not profit.

Hopefully after enough agents leave, SF will have to change to a fair and understandable contract. You may want to wait.

This a typical large corporate organization no longer feels the need or respect for their sales channels. The ever increasing internal overhead with bloated salaries and pensions are creating a competitive challenge. This is especially true as SF continues to lag behind the technical advancement in the industry from a sales and service perspective (i.e.; website, e-quotes, e-branding, e-apps).

The AFO structure is a tremendous waste of financial resource. How many agents feel the value in a $300 - $500K , part time, AFE tell them to spend $5000 on outside consultants that should be a SF/AFO program?

SF could improve the AA04 contract by reinventing the AFO structure so that it is cost-efficient and compensate the AFE's on a performance basis. The cost savings could be passed on in improved commission.

Successfully compensate AFE's to create teams to compete against the competitor(s) not the agents within the teams. Change the comp plan so AFE's and AVP's prosper and succeed when they help the agents succeed.

The older and complacent leadership is as much or more of the problem as the older agents.

Open the lines of communication. Why is this an environment where, across the board, people are afraid to speak? Successful relationships are two way. You do not need to like what you hear. Great ideas come from within if you allow them.

Rules are only rules if they are enforced. Eliminate the separate set of rules for those that come from "the SF Family". History shows that most generations of family run businesses do not succeed without outside influence.

QUESTIONS:

WHY IS THE CONTRACT SO COMPLEX THAT LEADERSHIP AND AGENTS CANNOT UNDERSTAND IT?

WHY DOES SF NOT WANT AGENTS TO KNOW HOW THEY ARE COMPENSATED?

Still waiting.

You probably didn't kiss up enough and were somebody who thought for themself and expressed it! You wasn't a part of the network. Those are the kind of people hierarchy tends to be threatened by.

Migrating is almost impossible these days though it does still happen on rare occasion. The times it has in my region the agent did NOT get a BIGGER book just closer to home. I traveled level 3 my first year and an agent in the neighboring town retired and he had a large book. I asked my E to migrate, and he basically said " we don't do that anymore" it was not even on the table.

DO NOT go into agency with this company right now. Not unless you have a prime opportunity and even then realize you better have a ton of $$$$ saved an be willing to understand the deal. TALK to 10 agents that were hired in 2004 and 2005 . Try to find out how many agents were hired in the second half of 2003 that were not inside employees? You won't find many. Most are on current contract and not doing well financially.

There is only ONE solution SFTICA is for the company to just say "To better align our agency force all agents that were hired in 1997 and later will be on the same contract aka the AA97." Give us ALL some back pay for underpaying commissions and move ahead. Approx 5000-7000 agents are thought to be retiring in the next 10 years and the company will falter under this current deal.

Once you sign a 5 year lease in a scratch market and make commitments to the community you can not get out!

Year one was fine and in hind sight I should have gotten out then.

Year 2 is when debt started to pile up as Premium builder dropped like a rock and I was even getting 0 paychecks once marketing expenses like direct mail was taken out.

The sophomore slump hit and I got hit with a ton of chargebacks.

I'd cut costs and then get threatened with being fired or non-renewed unless I hired more people and spent more on marketing and qualified for travel.

If I closed up I'd owe $96,000 as my lease obligation in year 2 with 0 income as a failure and also leave 2 hard working team members high and dry.

These forums are all about sharing SOLUTIONS. What is a pre-06 TICA to do to start getting even other then "sell more".

Does anyone know how "Migrating" works?

I have a friend in Maine who was going broke in year 2 and his AFE did not want to see him fail and migrated him to a book with 3,000 cars. He is giddy now and barely a Select agent, never sells life etc and probably one of the richest men in Maine.

Why can't I get that kind of deal?

Back