State & Federal Exchanges

Did you know that the Affordable Care Act does NOT mandate that a state set up it's own exchange?

The unaffordable care act also did not require states to set up PCIP.

And SCOTUS said states did not have to expand Medicaid eligibility.

This is interesting.

Because of this, the government cannot legally enforce the employer mandate "tax" on employers in a state that has not set up an exchange. Without the employer mandate, and without the exchanges to manage the insurance subsidies, ObamaCare falls apart.

Essentially, when the federal government implements an exchange, attempting to distribute the subsidies and enforce the mandates in the resisting states - it would be illegal. The states involved could then sue.

Last edited:
I do not really think that there will be that much in commissions. Also with people getting subsidies based on what they say they income is we may face chargebacks once taxes are done and the end of the year and people actually made more that they originally said. I do not know for sure but they may not qualify for subsidies and then I wonder if we will have to pay back commission. Is there anybody that knows for sure?

IMO, there is no way they can pay a % on just the UN-subsidized portion of the premium. Consumers can adjust their income/subsidies each month, and the commission would then also have to adjust each month. They will either be paying a % on the total premium, or paying per member per month flat fee.

PMPM is what I assumed we would see all along, since it helps carriers bottom lines and doesn't hurt their MLR as much.

Back