Sub-domain or Sub-folder?

scagnt83

Worldwide Expert of Everything
5000 Post Club
What are advantages and disadvantages when it comes to seo?

Can I set up separate WP themes for separate sub-domains?

I basically have two separate but insurance related topics that I want to run under one general domain, but have different themes for each. Is this possible? If possible, is it easy to do??

Also, im afraid of the domain name becoming too long when doing this... how long would you say is too long?

Basically it's almost the same. The difference is almost insignificant so you should do it the way its easier for you.

And no domain is too long if you don't have to type it.

If you need to type it, and it is too long, change something, make it shorter.

Basically it's almost the same. The difference is almost insignificant so you should do it the way its easier for you.

And no domain is too long if you don't have to type it.

If you need to type it, and it is too long, change something, make it shorter.

Every other expert I have heard speak on the subject says that the sub-folder route is much better for SEO purposes, especially for an established site.

Every other expert I have heard speak on the subject says that the sub-folder route is much better for SEO purposes, especially for an established site.

It makes little difference, google doesn't care much if it's sub domain or sub folder (you can do some research if you like). So just do it the way it's easier for you.

sounds like you already know the answer.

If you mean domain.com/folder vs other.domain.com then yes keeping everything on the root domain helps with building domain authority. If you go with other.domain.com is like having 2 completely separate websites.

if you put content on domain.com/folder and people link to it it can help everything on domain.com gain authority. If it is on other.domain.com the only way it can add seo value to domain.com is by using interlinking.

also posting fresh content to domain.com/folder can help that new content build authority faster if you already have an established domain.

Last edited:

Because you have a wordpress installation you can create a "network" and have as many websites as you want, and give each one its on theme and content. You will have the option to set it up as "subdomains" or "subdirectories". Make sure to backup everything before you take this on. Hope this helps

I agree with this. I'm always of the opinion that you start by putting yourself in the shoes of the user and making sure that there experience is seemless.

Average users do not care what the domain is to them it is all about smooth navigation. Neither choice should affect usability.... It's really about what benefits the webmaster more. Usually people will only use sub-domains for different departments in an organization that have different people in charge.

Back