Suggestions on Alternatives to Using Cell Phone for Calls?

undisclosed

Expert
I don't have a landline and have been going over my minute allowance on my cell phone lately. I have no experience with any of the VOIP options. I have a pretty good internet connection, but it's wireless (don't know what sort of effect that may have). Cheaper is better, but not if it means a noticeable decrease in call quality or frequent lost calls.

Any suggestions?

Magic Jack sucks big time. Terrible.

Nettalk is much better and about as cheap. It also can connect directly to a router so you don't have to keep your computer running.

Rick

I use Vonage and I like it. Their connections used to be pretty static-y so many people stopped using them. They seems to be much better that 2-3 years ago and a whole lot less expensive than AT&T.

For Pete's sake----get unlimited cell phone with no contract needed. They're all over the place and you can keep your current number if you want.

METRO PCS, BOOST, VIRGIN MOBILE, CRICKET, all have unlimited cell phone use all over the country. No contract, unlimiited maximum minutes, one flat rate per month.

Metro pcs is around $35 a month. Boost starts at $50 and each 6 months if you make your payments on time it gets lower like %50 to %45 to $40 to $35. Cricket is $35 or $40 a month.

I use mine for hundreds of calls per week using Callfire. You won't have any trouble.

I did use Vonage and liked it a lot. Trouble is I had to use COMCAST who was up to $60 a month at the time and Vonage was on top of that.

Now I pay $45 to BOOST and last year I drove from California through Arizona, through New Mexico and through West Texas on to Houston, back through Austin, Dallas, Tucson, Phoenix, the desert again, and back. Phone worked the whole time in remote areas.

Last edited:
I don't have a landline and have been going over my minute allowance on my cell phone lately. I have no experience with any of the VOIP options. I have a pretty good internet connection, but it's wireless (don't know what sort of effect that may have). Cheaper is better, but not if it means a noticeable decrease in call quality or frequent lost calls.

Any suggestions?

Look into Verizon Wireless Home Phone Connect, if you have good Verizon Wireless service. I think other carriers may have this service, also, under different names. I have it and am more than happy.

First, the price: Unlimited is $19.99 per month. (plus the usual taxes and surcharges....don't know right now, but reasonable for the service provided...most of that is stuff they need to charge...state taxes, etc).

This is cell service for your home, and you do not need any equipment but a small device about the size of a router, which they provide. What I especially value here is the ability to connect two phones to it. I have a desk speaker phone that allows, of course, you to use it on speaker, as well as with a headset, which I think is important here. Then I have also connected a cordless phone base, so I can take my cordless anywhere in the house.

The sound is great here, and callers have told me so as well. I do live in an area with good service from this company.

It is also portable. It has a battery backup and I tried it out, taking it with me on a road trip, using my cordless phone and its base connected to the unit. Worked like a charm, from my bag. Read reviews, if you are at all interested. You are also welcome to contact me for more information.

Just jump up a plan on your cell phone. Maybe $15/month and you should be fine.

I've tried Magic Jack - Horrible connection, most of the time.
Though it was cheap and better than Vonage.

Vonage - I don't care if they've gotten better. They lied to me repeatedly and cost me a lot of money in the long run. And their connection was very bad. I don't think anyone could ever hear me.

Never heard of Nettalk. I will look in to it though

Get Ringcentral and simply use their softphone on your laptop. It works.

Or, for less money, get a google voice number, use it with google chat. It works pretty well and the voicemail is very functional.

VOIP can work and sound much better than your cell phone. It can also sound much worse. It depends on the provider and your internet connection. I'm not a big fan of voip on wireless connections, but it works fine with the right codec as long as the wireless connection isn't overloaded.

Dan

Back