Surgery Recommended Always a Knock Out?

My client's spouse has MedSupp F, going up substantially. Says can't afford it. Is reluctant to schedule surgery for spouse due to no transportation.

I can't see any likelihood of a medsupp carrier saying yes to someone who has had knee replacement surgery recommended. Right?

My suggestion to them is to get help from local agency on aging for transportation.

If it was recomended more than 2 years ago and they don't plan on having the surgery, they could qualify for certain carriers...

I believe near 100% of the people I have on plan F can afford it.

Is that why the members I take OFF Plan F are absurdly thankful?

And send me referrals?

And said NO AGENT EVER EVEN MENTIONED ADVANTAGE TO ME!

Im pretty sure that 90% of people on a plan F have it because:

The agent was too lazy or busy selling P/C to get certified
The agent made a higher commission with Plan F
Were never SHOWN anything other than Plan F
Was too lazy to mention Plan N

And Im sure 90% of them have no idea what will happen to their premiums starting in 2020.

Last edited:

And send me referrals?

And Im sure 90% of them have no idea what will happen to their premiums starting in 2020.

I may run into some of that in the field but if you have read much on this forum you would know that is not a description of most agents on this forum, In fact most of my sup clients are on G, Plan N is a distant 2nd and F is 3rd, I have enough Med advantage clients as well,

I believe most regulars on this forum do explain all the options as well and probably have near the same mix depending on the market they sell in

And send me referrals?

I find the exact opposite as many agents out here make more money on MAPD when someone is new to Medicare, so that is all they push. I will show all options, and Plan F is always mentioned, but G is my go to, if they don't want an MA. My book is 75% MA, but 9 times out of 10, my clients have never been shown the alternative if I am the 2nd agent.

I mentioned agency on aging transport in prior post. Now will discuss with client. Wanted to see if I am missing anything about plan options.

Thanks!

A difficulty there with "transportation" is that there is more than just transportation. The surgical facility wants the other party there during the surgery. The recovery may, or may not, be smooth-"extra" time may be necessary. Particularly if the person has no regular help, a stop on the way home for prescription meds-pain killers, antibiotics, etc, may be necessary. And the person may need some in house help for mobility, feeding, toileting. So.... getting from home to the surgery site and back is only a portion of the overall "surgery" assistance need.

And send me referrals?

90% eh? I can bet you don't understand the FL market. 60% or so of my clients are on mapd. Out of the 40% of my med supp biz, half is on F and the other on N. G is not a good option here.
UHC is king here and F pays the same as N.
Keep up.

A difficulty there with "transportation" is that there is more than just transportation. The surgical facility wants the other party there during the surgery. The recovery may, or may not, be smooth-"extra" time may be necessary. Particularly if the person has no regular help, a stop on the way home for prescription meds-pain killers, antibiotics, etc, may be necessary. And the person may need some in house help for mobility, feeding, toileting. So.... getting from home to the surgery site and back is only a portion of the overall "surgery" assistance need.

Good point. When discussing this, will mention. They have an adult child who could at least do a day or so off work to help. I know the providers do a lot of planning prep work for joint replacement surgery. I have another client whose disable spouse has to have a shoulder replacement. They have resources.

Back