Switching Resident License from Texas to Florida

How did it work out? Did you notice any difference in Cont Ed or did everything transfer?
This was 11 years ago, so it may be different now. My CE was treated as though I was a new licensee, so I didn't need it until I'd completed a full biennium as a resident. TX was easy. They just had me get a non-res, then change the address after I moved. Then I was automatically resident. VA was a little stickier. I had to cancel the res first, then reapply for non-res. Had one carrier drop me, but I called them and they restored my contract immediately. I didn't lose any renewals due to the move. These were all life companies, though. So I don't know how health commissions would be affected. A call to the commission departments of the carriers would help with direction.

"Will jam for food"

UPDATE: Switching Resident License from Texas to Florida

Sorry so long responding but I have been tied-up with this freaking nightmare- and I still do not have it all worked out. Should have just kept my Texas residence license but obviously that could have come back to bite me in the future.

As suggested by many, I just went for it (which is truly the only option). The best piece of advice is to already have in place a non-res license in the state you are moving to. Both DOI's were very helpful in explaining everything but there is absolutely no way to move without surrendering your Texas resident license.

I submitted the required request to surrender Texas via fax and received the Clearance Letter via email the next day. Within minutes, I applied for my Florida resident license which took about 5 days to receive approval. Had to wait an additional 48 hours for it to be updated in the NIPR before I could apply for Texas non-resident. It then took Texas two full weeks to issue my non-resident plus the additional 48 hours for the NIPR to be updated.

Within two days of surrendering Texas, I began receiving emails that I was being terminated. Of course, for life and Med Supp sales that was not a big issue as they will continue to pay but I have a lot of MA & PDP clients and that is where things have been a nightmare!

It has been nearly two months and I am still working on getting my MA & PDP renewals back and currently have about 80% restored. The larger companies worked with me and gave me a time period (usually about a month from surrender) to get Texas non-resident in place. Thank goodness I already had FL non-res so that turn-around time was shorter and TX only took two weeks to issue my non-resident. I am unsure if I am going to be able to recover the other 20% (which is a significant income $) as I am still trying to get those restored. The problems are with the smaller companies as they basically terminated and said you're SOL.

Despite retaining the same license numbers for both states, Texas DOI cancelled all my appointments so I am having to re-appoint with every carrier I wish to represent- many of which require re-contracting and of course appointment fees. I also ran into the situation where one of my FMO's is no longer licensed in Florida so I had to re-contract through a FL licensed FMO.

Again, this has been a nightmare and was very stressful initially when I was terminated by companies with which I had significant MA $'s at stake. Letters stating 'per your contract you will no longer receive renewals' made for some sleepless nights. It has gotten less stressful and just more time-consuming but hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel soon. I am more or less just waiting on 5 more MA companies to re-appoint. I still have some Med Supp companies I have to re-contract with but those are easy. Of course, I will re-contract with life companies as I submit new business.

My wife better not decide we need to move back to Texas or she'll be going on her own. :biggrin:

Feel free to message me if you're considering doing this and I will be happy to share additional insight on what to expect from specific companies.

Back