The Continuing Saga Of CLASS

"I am just a glass half full kind of girl."

There's only one way to determine what kind of girl you are:
Is your glass 1/2 full of wine, beer or vodka?

Hey, you'll do what you need to do to protect your business.

As for me, CLASS Act becomes law, I'll have to deal with it like I've dealt with everything else that comes our way in this business.

Where do you live in NJ Trubi?
I'm in White Plains, NY.

"I'm coming late to the discussion here, but what about getting to people BEFORE they are enrolled?"

Excuse me for being a little confused, but I've been doing
just that since 1995 when I started in the business.

I work almost exclusively in the individual market. To date,
I've only had one prospect ask me about CLASS. Stop 100 people on the steet, ask them what they think of the CLASS Act, and 99 won't have a clue what you're talking about.

Now, if you're a benefit broker for employers, then possibly
the company owner or HR head may have a vague idea. But
the reality is, I haven't spoken to one employer (large or small) that wants anything at all to do with Obama Care and if CLASS is part of Health Care Reform, they're against it. They might
not know what it is, but they're against it.

Consumers don't need the CLASS Act to inform them that
LTCi is something they should look into.

If a person has not been asleep over the past few years, they certainly have either read or heard information everyday
about LTCi and what it does. Newspapers, financial journals, AARP, magazines, Suze Ormond, radio, TV, grandpa, grandma and neighbors.

One would have to have their head buried up their.........
(in the sand) not to hear reports about Medicare & Medicaid
and how these programs are broke and will not pay for LTC services.

Let's look at some recent history:
The Partnership Plans (Post DRA, 2005) were supposed to increase LTCi sales by 100000000000000000000000%. Why? Because EVERYONE would hear about it and line up with their checkbooks out, waiting to buy a policy. Didn't happen, did it?

A few years ago, each state spent millions of dollars on Awareness Programs for educational purposes. Every state resident, over the age of 55 received a package with a DVD explaining LTCi. People were informed that the costs of LTC services are not something the state & federal government
pays for and everyone should look into private LTCi and take
personal responsibility.

The Awareness Program was supposed to increase LTCi sales
by 2000000000000000000000%. Why? Because EVERYONE would hear about it and line up with their checkbooks out, waiting to buy a LTC policy. Didn't happen, did it?

In 2002, Hancock & MetLife got involved with the Federal Program. The Federal Program was supposed to increase LTCi sales by 30000000000000000%.

Why? Because EVERYONE would hear about it and line up
with their checkbooks out, waiting to buy a LTC policy. Didn't happen, did it? (It only happened for the 220,000 federal employees who signed up)

I don't know about you, but close to 80% of my sales in the past 16 years have come from people who have had direct experience with LTC, usually with parents who are in nursing homes.

They didn't buy a policy because the governement brought
it to their attention, they bought it for one reason..................

THEY FELT THE PAIN! They see their parents spending down their life savings and they don't want the same thing for their kids.

That's it folks.... PAIN and nothing else.

The point is, if you truly believe that CLASS will do for you
what the Partnership Plans did NOT do and the State
Awareness Programs did NOT do and what the Federal
Program did NOT do, then you must surely be insane.

Because according to Einstein, the definition of insanity is
doing the same thing over & over again, expecting different results.......

Time will tell who's on the right side of this debate. Personally,
I think chances are CLASS Act will never become law. And, for that, we should be thankful......

(Sorry, got a little carried away)

Now this is telling it like it is!

I agree with most of what you said, the individual on the street, knows nothing about the CLASS Act. But aren't we here to educate the public? What about if it does happen, have a educational workshop for some existing clients about before you are enrolled, talk to me? I have also had benefit people reach out to their brokers asking, what am I supposed to be doing about this. Mostly small (10-50) business. Those brokers are either know LTC or are partnering with a LTC expert and talking about options. I doubt it will become law. I just likeI guess I am just a glass half full kind of girl.

fyi... the CLASS Act is already law. It became a federal law when Obama signed the PPACA.

As for me, I'm thrilled. The glass isn't half full... it's overflowing... and it's only getting better.

nadm

As for me, I'm thrilled. The glass isn't half full... it's overflowing... and it's only getting better.

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy, you're happy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Now this is telling it like it is!"

Gee, that adds alot to the discussion.........

Last edited:

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo happy, you're happy.
"Now this is telling it like it is!"

Gee, that adds alot to the discussion.........

Sorry I did not meet with your approval!

I did think you nailed it with your post though.

Once again I don't think CLASS will have an impact at all. It would be wishful thinking to believe its gonna help us, IMO. Of course I'd have to see the "details" of the program when/if they are available.

Last edited:
[FONT=Georgia","serif]AP Exclusive: Long-term care plan alarms ignored[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Updated: Sep 14, 2011 - 14:55PM[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]WASHINGTON -Emails disclosed by congressionalinvestigators show government experts repeatedly warned that a new long-termcare insurance [/FONT][FONT=Arial","sans-serif]plan could go belly up, saddling taxpayers with anotherunderfunded benefit program.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Meanwhile, leading Democrats offered assurances that any problems could befixed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]The Community Living Assistance Services and Supports program was spliced intoPresident Barack Obama's health care law despite nagging budget worries.Administration emails and documents reveal that those alarms were soundedearlier and more widely than previously thought.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]One senior official wrote: "Seems like a recipe for disaster to me."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Another called it unworkable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]The program's future is one of the issues facing the newcongressional debt panel. Republican lawmakers seeking repeal of the programprovided the [/FONT][FONT=Arial","sans-serif]emails and documents to The Associated Press.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia","serif]AP Exclusive: Long-term care plan alarms ignored[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Updated: Sep 14, 2011 - 14:55PM[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]WASHINGTON -Emails disclosed by congressionalinvestigators show government experts repeatedly warned that a new long-termcare insurance [/FONT][FONT=Arial","sans-serif]plan could go belly up, saddling taxpayers with anotherunderfunded benefit program.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Meanwhile, leading Democrats offered assurances that any problems could befixed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]The Community Living Assistance Services and Supports program was spliced intoPresident Barack Obama's health care law despite nagging budget worries.Administration emails and documents reveal that those alarms were soundedearlier and more widely than previously thought.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]One senior official wrote: "Seems like a recipe for disaster to me."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]Another called it unworkable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]The program's future is one of the issues facing the newcongressional debt panel. Republican lawmakers seeking repeal of the programprovided the [/FONT][FONT=Arial","sans-serif]emails and documents to The Associated Press.[/FONT]

Here is link: will there ever be a day when anyone in gov't understands adverse selection? GI with no mandate, an insurance basic.

AP Exclusive: Long-term care plan alarms ignored - Yahoo! News

Last edited by a moderator:
"As for me, I'm thrilled. The glass isn't half full... it's overflowing... and it's only getting better."
nadm

So, let me understand this............
In spite of the fact this program is not good for the country,
it doesn't matter because it's good for nadm.

Do I have that right?
"will there ever be a day when anyone in gov't understands adverse selection?"

A short answer to your question is 'NO'

Government has absolutely no idea how the private sector works.

Last edited:
"As for me, I'm thrilled. The glass isn't half full... it's overflowing... and it's only getting better."
nadm

So, let me understand this............
In spite of the fact this program is not good for the country,
it doesn't matter because it's good for nadm.

Do I have that right?
"will there ever be a day when anyone in gov't understands adverse selection?"

A short answer to your question is 'NO'

Government has absolutely no idea how the private sector works.

I think the CLASS Act IS a good thing for the country.

1) It will NOT use any taxpayer dollars.
2) It will NOT "go bankrupt" because the secretary of HHS is required to raise premiums AND/OR lower benefits to keep the program solvent.
3) It will help the poor stay out of nursing homes.
4) It will raise awareness for everyone else to plan for the risk of long-term care.
5) It will help to reduce Medicaid expenditures.

All of these points are a good thing.

If you'd read the actual legislation instead of reading what other people say the law says, you'd realize that my points are fact.

nadm

Last edited:
"I think the CLASS Act IS a good thing for the country"
1) It will NOT use any taxpayer dollars.
2) It will NOT "go bankrupt" because the secretary of HHS is required to raise premiums AND/OR lower benefits to keep the program solvent.
3) It will help the poor stay out of nursing homes.
4) It will raise awareness for everyone else to plan for the risk of long-term care.
5) It will help to reduce Medicaid expenditures.

All of these points are a good thing.

You can't possibly believe what you wrote. Each point you make is so ludicrous, I won't insult you by even addressing your post.

I guess you believe everything this administration tells you.
Pretty sad.....................

Back