The Dismantling of ObamaCare - Ongoing Updates.

Over 40 years in the health insurance industry, almost half of that on the carrier side, I never heard them refer to themselves as health care companies. The lame stream media uses that term, as well as the misnomer "healthcare", on a regular basis.

How many companies go looking for ways to lose money? Do you run your business in such a way as to target deadbeats who will cost you more money than you make? Will you accept clients pro bono at the exclusion of one where you expect to make a profit?

BTW, profit is not a 4 letter word, except among the left . . .

Health insurance is often marketed as healthcare rather than the financial tool it is. If people realized by and large their insurance was just that, insurance, there would be a universal healthcare system in America already. At least in my opinion.

Like you I focus on Medicare because you're right it's straight forward healthcare coverage that mimics insurance. Easy to explain with lots of patient protection. Private insurance can be a nightmare when someone actually gets sick with denial of claims and network issues. Then as the agent you have to walk them through appeals and grievances. I too have seen both sides.

My issue with calling sick people losers is that it's disrespectful and not compassionate. Let me say what I tell everyone, an insurance company is a financial company designed to make a profit. It is what it is.

I'm not committed to some economic ideology that I think private insurance is better than universal coverage no matter what though. As a matter of fact I think a blend of private competition and universal coverage is the best way to go. But let us all not be fooled, carriers have their best interest in mind, not subscribers.

----------

How is that different than any other segment of insurance industry? Companies engage in behavior to reduce claims and attract more desirable business.

Right. My point is most people don't understand their health insurance is actually a financial tool. They view it as access to healthcare.

Orange, for once, I agree with you.
Health insurance is a financial product. Period.
That's why most of my clients have HSA's.
Well, until Obamacare wiped out a bunch of those HDHP options.
Not one available in all of Phoenix in IFP market for 2017.
Sad.

Health insurance is often marketed as healthcare rather than the financial tool it is.

Anyone doing that is either completely ignorant or a crook.

Private insurance can be a nightmare when someone actually gets sick with denial of claims and network issues.

In 40+ years I have never experienced a claim that was incorrectly denied. I have however seen more than one claim that should never have been paid but was paid extra-contractually.

calling sick people losers

I have no idea where you worked but I have worked for and with some of the largest carriers in the industry and have never heard anyone on the carrier side call sick people losers.

That is 3 strikes.

Buh-bye.

Anyone doing that is either completely ignorant or a crook.

In 40+ years I have never experienced a claim that was incorrectly denied. I have however seen more than one claim that should never have been paid but was paid extra-contractually.

I have no idea where you worked but I have worked for and with some of the largest carriers in the industry and have never heard anyone on the carrier side call sick people losers.

That is 3 strikes.

Buh-bye.

Calling sick people losers is a double entendres.

So long, sir.

----------

Orange, for once, I agree with you.
Health insurance is a financial product. Period.
That's why most of my clients have HSA's.
Well, until Obamacare wiped out a bunch of those HDHP options.
Not one available in all of Phoenix in IFP market for 2017.
Sad.

Here's part of the reason why people mistaken health insurance for healthcare:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we do pay for Healthcare with insurance. That is one way it can be paid for. There are others.

When trying to control premium, you can modify the numerator (claims) or the denominator (number enrolled). The argument is over how to do either.

Carriers sell administrative services and seek to break even on claims. They don't care what actual claims are as long as they were priced into the rates. They only accept risk to be able to sell administrative services.

Carriers are bailing from ACA now because they can't accurately forecast claims. See how fast they get back in at $1/PMPM for providing ASO.

They are pending regulatory approvals, apparently this change has already been filed.

Dear Broker,

The Department of Health and Human Services has released new regulations restricting the sale of short-term plans so that the maximum duration cannot exceed 90 days. Due to this ruling, we’ve had to re-file our application in every state where our short term medical plan is available.

Unfortunately, several states have not yet approved our new application so we will be suspending sales at 12:00AM ET on 4/1/17 in:

• Alaska
• Arizona
• Connecticut
• California
• Colorado
• Florida
• Idaho
• Iowa
• New Hampshire
• New Mexico
• Oregon
• Pennsylvania
• Tennessee
• Washington
• Virginia

At this time there is no indication surrounding the timeline of when each individual state will review the pending application. Please contact your dedicated account executive if you have any questions and for further updates

Back