The Do Not Call List (DNC) Rules

zergkiller said:
Norwayguy

There is a big difference between my calling a number blindly and a roofer. We both have licenses, but everyone needs to hear from someone who has their financial interest in mind. A roofer would call an apartment building. So would a pest control company. In the egalitarian world view, there are no privileges except for the inner committee.

The only difference is if you are captive and the FTC decides to make an example of a deep pocket because you both violated the law.

Who's financial interest are you interested when you first make that call? Face it residential cold calling of someone who is listed is against the law unless you have a prior business relationship or recieved permission. Permission can be gained in many ways such as reply mailers etc.

Business to Business cold calling is legal though.

Josh

True. I used to have a source for these things and may well use the one you mentioned. Thanks for the reference.

By the by, one of the people I turned in to the DNC cops called me, on a machine, with a pitch to teach me how to use a machine to get around the DNC list.:laugh:

Norwayguy

There is a big difference between my calling a number blindly and a roofer. We both have licenses, but everyone needs to hear from someone who has their financial interest in mind. A roofer would call an apartment building. So would a pest control company. In the egalitarian world view, there are no privileges except for the inner committee.

This is pretty much why the DNC list was created. Most consumers decided that they really don't want to hear from you. As much as you might wish otherwise.

If you want to know who to blame for the DNC, blame automated dialers and call centers. I remember the phone literally ringing off the hook at dinner time before the DNC came into existence. As soon as you hung up on one telemarketer, the next one called.

Yes, it does make our jobs more difficult, but it is reality.

VolAgent

Yep. I remember those calls. They were completely impersonal. Were I to call someone, it would become a personal matter in just a little bit. Robots or telemarketers with canned scripts were horrible. Another set of people I turned in were the ones who would call me 15 minutes later.

Last edited:
zergkiller said:
VolAgent

Yep. I remember those calls. They were completely impersonal. Were I to call someone, it would become a personal matter in just a little bit. Robots or telemarketers with canned scripts were horrible. Another set of people I turned in were the ones who would call me 15 minutes later.

Just because you think your pitch is personal and needed does not make it so for the person receiving your call and if every agent felt the same way we would have mayhem.

I don't care what you do. Just know you have no exemption and if you can them you can be fined. And remember the shoe will be on the other foot it is you who will be getting reported. I still can't get over someone who wants to telemarket people even those on the DNC and is someone who has listed themselves on the DNC who get annoyed when he still gets called.

Norwayguy

"I still can't get over someone who wants to telemarket people even those on the DNC and is someone who has listed themselves on the DNC who get annoyed when he still gets called"

I've cited a couple of cases. Robots, random vendors etc. The Texas law allows/allowed one to call who has an insurance or real estate license to find clients. If I got a personal call from someone like that, I wouldn't turn them in. Nor would I be upset. They would be in my neighborhood more or less. Calling someone who just bought a new house, or had a new baby, or bought a new car. Things like that are more personal. And exempting two categories from the DNC wouldn't result in a barrage of calls either.

Last edited:
Except if someone is on the DNC list, they really don't want those calls. As a consumer, I wouldn't care that YOU think you have something great to offer, I've put my name on the DNC list for a reason.

Personal call or not, doesn't matter to those who don't want their phone ringing while the new baby is sleeping!!!

Dan

I still can't get over you list yourself on the DNC and turn people in who call you and you think your own calls to people on the DNC is different.

Dude either get permission to call via direct mail or other source or call people not listed. In another thread you mention you are Series 6 & 63 registered I am willing to bet money your Broker/Dealer has in its contract with you plus its standard operating procedures either a prohibition against cold calling or a requirement to strictly adhere to the DNC. Your B/Ds operating procedures have the full weight of FINRA behind them.

I still can't get over you list yourself on the DNC and turn people in who call you and you think your own calls to people on the DNC is different.

Dude either get permission to call via direct mail or other source or call people not listed. In another thread you mention you are Series 6 & 63 registered I am willing to bet money your Broker/Dealer has in its contract with you plus its standard operating procedures either a prohibition against cold calling or a requirement to strictly adhere to the DNC. Your B/Ds operating procedures have the full weight of FINRA behind them.

But Peter, he is special. No one else does what he does and everyone should feel honored that he called them.

VolAgent; Norwayguy;djs

I don't know if you people have any idea what your are saying or just having a good time with things you made up, but if you read the original question, I was asking for the rules.

AFTER that, I said that I didn't know what I would do with the information if it turned out that I could cold call individuals, since it is intruding on their lives.

But to cut to the chase here, I AM special. Ant the rest of it too. Good Grief!!

Back