The Easiest Product to Get Off the Ground

I have had at least a hundred new FE agents call me off this forum and talk about getting started. I try to be genuinely helpful to them.

But over and over I see the same thing. They won't do the work. They won't spend the money. They want magic words of what to say. They plan and plan and plan...but never act.

The failure rate is enormous of the ones that call me.

Maybe I'm the problem.

Never mind.

Maybe it is because they do not want to spend any money or do any work.

Anyone with a lot of sales experience, especially in hiring and managing knows this to be true;

There's the exception and the rule. The exception is that people get into the field of sales who are very hard working, aggressive and willing to commit to 50 to 80 hours a week to be successful.

Now let's talk about the rule. The rule is people who get into sales are generally lazy, unable to hold down a regular job for too many reasons to note, generally work 2 to 3 hours a day and feel that life "owes them" six figures...and they're gonna jump from sales job to sales job - idea to idea - until they figure out a way to earn six figures "without doing anything."

'We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work'

Anyone with a lot of sales experience, especially in hiring and managing knows this to be true;

There's the exception and the rule. The exception is that people get into the field of sales who are very hard working, aggressive and willing to commit to 50 to 80 hours a week to be successful.

Now let's talk about the rule. The rule is people who get into sales are generally lazy, unable to hold down a regular job for too many reasons to note, generally work 2 to 3 hours a day and feel that life "owes them" six figures...and they're gonna jump from sales job to sales job - idea to idea - until they figure out a way to earn six figures "without doing anything."

'We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work'

Where did you find all those overachievers? I remember managing commissioned marketing people. I was lucky to get 15 minutes of work out of them. Of course, the fact we had a bad reputation in town and I was required to hire anyone who could pass a drug test and an I-9 probably didn't help.

When I was a regional manager, I couldn't even find good managers - and it was salary + overrides...and the salary wasn't anything to sneeze at.

I had 7 states and 10 offices and two days in a row never went by without a call about a problem; issue with their kids, wife, car, etc...you name it.

It's hard for me coming out of the Marines. You're either at work on time or you're screwed. Car broke down? You're screwed. Issue with your kids? Get to work on time. Issue with your wife? Get to work on time. "I can't work next Wednesday" - Yes you can, see you at work next Wednesday. "I need to leave early today at 2pm" - no, you'll work today until you're finished.

I think the appeal to individual health (before) and final expense now is people perceive it as no prospecting. Buy leads (health) or send out direct mail (final expense) and go take the order on a warm lead waiting for you to call. Not exactly how it works in reality.

I mean no disrespect to either product line when I say this, but both limit the ability to eventually coast later on in your career, with some exceptions (although you can make a fantastic income with either). Here's what I mean:

Final Expense: you made the sale, given the demographic, there probably isn't much money available to do anything else. I know, over generalization.

Individual Health (internet leads sold over the phone): there isn't going to be a tight relationship unless you meet them face to face and stay in contact. If someone local comes around and asks for the business, they will probably go with that person instead.

I think local marketing is still the best long term way to build a business for most lines with a few exceptions. But it requires a lot more work. I really think life insurance is a great business for someone who is young and willing to prospect hard. If I wasn't sellilng life, I would be working my a$$ off selling commericial P&C and building a book. I get asked about it all the time and refer a fair amount of business.

Last edited:
I didn't see Zero Premium Life Insurance.
Somarco, you may have the corner on that market.

Possibly.

Now if I could only find a zero premium health insurance product, especially for older people who don't have any money, I could make a fortune giving away free insurance.

When I was a regional manager, I couldn't even find good managers - and it was salary + overrides...and the salary wasn't anything to sneeze at.

I had 7 states and 10 offices and two days in a row never went by without a call about a problem; issue with their kids, wife, car, etc...you name it.

It's hard for me coming out of the Marines. You're either at work on time or you're screwed. Car broke down? You're screwed. Issue with your kids? Get to work on time. Issue with your wife? Get to work on time. "I can't work next Wednesday" - Yes you can, see you at work next Wednesday. "I need to leave early today at 2pm" - no, you'll work today until you're finished.

The military part is so true. Basically no such thing as a sick day. Don't be late. Rain, sleet, snow, or just feeling bad get the job done.
If there was something that wasn't taught to you then you should should know it anyway. It's called system knowledge. :nah:

Now way that would fly in today's job market. most people would be surprised what responsibilities a 19 or 20 year old has in the military world. If the work ethic is weak so what get to work or it's extra training.:embarrassed:

The military part is so true. Basically no such thing as a sick day. Don't be late. Rain, sleet, snow, or just feeling bad get the job done.
If there was something that wasn't taught to you then you should should know it anyway. It's called system knowledge. :nah:

Now way that would fly in today's job market. most people would be surprised what responsibilities a 19 or 20 year old has in the military world. If the work ethic is weak so what get to work or it's extra training.:embarrassed:

I understand military commanders are starting to complain about the lack of work ethics in young service members. I recall a quote from one submarine commander stating that young sailors expect to be praised for completing every minor little task.

Back