This Scares Me

Does the written AOR agreement apply if the company/block is sold to another carrier?

I took the time to look through the SOB, which admittedly is something I don't always do. This year is different because I think the scary plan may be a Trojan horse.

I am not so naive as to believe that carriers are benevolent institutions and exist for the greater good of mankind (personkind?) and agents. Perhaps all carriers have this caveat, but because I am a skeptic, I looked at this line cautiously.

In the very back of the SOB, under ways to contact them, I spotted this . . .

Toll-free at 1-866-859-9084 (TTY: 711). Your call may be answered by a
licensed agent.

I know carriers have in-house licensed agents, but how many answer incoming calls? The purpose of an in-house agent is to SELL, not answer service questions.

I have run about 40 PDP reports and almost every one favors the carrier with the $0.50 monthly premium (Georgia).

I have a pretty good feeling they are using that plan to attract "warm bodies" who might be susceptible to a pitch for a "no premium" Medicare plan that comes with dental at no extra charge.

The Force is strong with this one . . .

I suspected this would happen. It may be the start of a trend, the way Mutual did with supps, silverscript started it with the PDP, and now Wellcare is jumping on. I wouldn't be surprised if the value script is non commissionable next year.

I have suspected for a few years, that the raising PDP deductible, is just a soft push to encourage people to look at the MAPD. They are trying everything, to get more mapd. Even the stricter marketing, seems to be making it harder for the smaller agents. The big call centers, will just pay the fine.

I took the time to look through the SOB, which admittedly is something I don't always do. This year is different because I think the scary plan may be a Trojan horse.

I am not so naive as to believe that carriers are benevolent institutions and exist for the greater good of mankind (personkind?) and agents. Perhaps all carriers have this caveat, but because I am a skeptic, I looked at this line cautiously.

In the very back of the SOB, under ways to contact them, I spotted this . . .

Toll-free at 1-866-859-9084 (TTY: 711). Your call may be answered by a
licensed agent.

I know carriers have in-house licensed agents, but how many answer incoming calls? The purpose of an in-house agent is to SELL, not answer service questions.
Interestingly enough I have had several customers this year ask me "Is there anyway to get the insurance company (the one they get insurance from) to stop calling me about my prescriptions, or encouraging me to go see a doctor?"

When I suggested they block the insurance company's phone number, or that we leave their phone number off next year's application (if do a plan change), or make a "mistake" when writing their phone number down, every single one jumped at the idea.

Its also interesting is they partnered with Mutual of Omaha on MA plans

Yeah, I forgot about that . . .

Could Omaha be a suitor in waiting?

I suspected this would happen. It may be the start of a trend, the way Mutual did with supps, silverscript started it with the PDP, and now Wellcare is jumping on. I wouldn't be surprised if the value script is non commissionable next year.

I have suspected for a few years, that the raising PDP deductible, is just a soft push to encourage people to look at the MAPD. They are trying everything, to get more mapd. Even the stricter marketing, seems to be making it harder for the smaller agents. The big call centers, will just pay the fine.

The PDP deductible is set by Congress. Same for the A & B deductible. As much as it would be nice to blame the carrier, that is not their call. They have some flexibility on which tiers to waive the deductible. Same for using a preferred provider vs non-preferred.

Carriers can be really dumb when it comes to cutting agents out of the equation. They thought they would be big winners with Obamacare where everyone was REQUIRED to have coverage. They changed the commission structure and new rules for when they will and won't pay a commission.

Funny thing happened . . . agents stopped writing business and what the carriers got from hc.gov sucked. Things went downhill so quickly that all but a handful pulled out of the market.

They think consumers will go direct but unless you have a household name, or a gimmick like an association promoting your product, the carriers draw the short straw.

They hate agents but they need them. It's a Catch-22.

I had the same thought on Wellcare. The only good thing happening is that the very dominant hospital in my area is not in network with them (and that hospital is very hard to get in). Also, they were the main call center plan the first year call centers got big and I had 12 clients sent to me from one doctor's office because of people being enrolled in plans with an insufficient network. Fortunately, my clients have explained to them from the T65 meeting the difference between a Supplement, Advantage Plan, and PDP. They also know that I am contracted with every MA carrier in the area (even the one I won't sell) and that I can look at options for them if they want to go that route. I do find that the vast majority of people stick with either their supplement or advantage based on their initial decision on the importance of cost/networks, but occasionally their are changes. Train your clients to use you as a resource for all things. Train them to call you during issues. That's the only way to keep high retention.

I do find that the vast majority of people stick with either their supplement or advantage based on their initial decision on the importance of cost/networks, but occasionally their are changes. Train your clients to use you as a resource for all things. Train them to call you during issues. That's the only way to keep high retention.

That's a lot of what I do and with the same results.

Give them good information without a sales pitch, regular contact (I use a monthly newsletter), answer their questions and you will have a client for life.

Back