Thousands May Lose Health Coverage, Restaurants Warn

Maybe in some cases, but it seems like most carriers have found a way around MLR and other reform requirements on their limited plans.

How so? Are you talking about non-HIIPA compliant plans or all of them?

The article was talking specifically about limited plans so that's what I was referring to also.

An example would be Assurant's Health Access plan. It was pulled after reform passed but has since reappeared in a revised form.

Not all mini-meds plans are crap. I know of one which offers a very low premium and the client is locked into that premium for at least 3 years. Not to mention the fact that it offers absolutely no caps and unlimited usage. Granted it does not offer coverage for hospitalization or Dr visits as of yet, but it does infact offer coverage of any prescription drug that the client may be paying for out-of-pocket and from what I understand from so many people who take high priced meds, this type of so-called (limited benefits) plan is a life saver.

Well, even though we'd love to see everyone have quality coverage, health care reform just eff's the situation up for a lot of people.

Look how reform has screwed up a few things:

Essentially no child only apps.

Imagine having a kid and having to pay $300 extra a month or whatever it is, because no ind health carrier will insure your perfectly healthy kid----I'd be pissed off.

With that said, these group mini meds aren't cheap. But from what I've seen they are better than the discount plans you buy on the open market.

I've often thought for the price of the mini med, couldn't they just get some hdhp? I don't know jack about group really, but it's the consumer's right to be able to purchase whatever kind of coverage they can afford or is available.

OR, what about the rule that says you can't do exclusions on kids? I got a family with a kid that got a 500% rate up for acne. Understanding this med costs $200 for a tiny tube, makes sense. Dad says (who lost his rich rich group plan), says never mind we will switch to Proactive or something, but I have to tell him, sorry, doesn't matter. The gov't says "NO EXCLUSIONS". You don't get to choose between the rate up or taking an exclusion instead, like some carriers used to do. Not allowed.

Back