Title and Insurance Question

Loete

A little more than a month ago I insured a car (it was given to me by a family member) which I have not yet gotten the title transferred to my name (when I purchased the insurance they asked whether I was going to get the title in my name within 30 days which I haven’t yet. Yes I know that’s my fault). I plan to transfer the title to my name next week asap but my question is what would happen with the insurance company if the car gets in the accident before I get the title transferred. I let a family member use it for the weekend and am hoping nothing happens but want to know if there would be any consequences with the insurance company if they got in an accident before the title is transferred to my name.

Screwing around with car titles and insurance is dangerous. Get your ass to the DMV tomorrow and get the title transferred to you. Make sure you keep copies of both sides showing the date it was given to you.

And never let anybody use your car but you. Something happens and your insurance company finds out the driver has a bad record and you could be up the insurance creek without an insurance paddle.

Now the legal explanation. You've made a material misrepresentation about the ownership of your car and you have concealed that there is another person that you are allowing to use your car.

Both have potential consequences that can be quite costly.

AdjusterJack is right on point but let's let you answer your own question. You have no insurable interest in the car because your state has not been notified that you are the owner. You can't insure a vehicle you don't own. You let someone use a vehicle you dont own and a vehicle which has no insurance. What do you think could happen if the vehicle is in an accident? DMV's are open on Saturdays. Make sure that Sunday doesnt happen without the change in title

It's Monday, did you make an appointment with Kansas to register your vehicle? you do realize that any ticket made for the vehicle would go to the registered owner until you re-title?

Back