Transferring title of car that won't start in Georgia

bdp31770

This has only slightly to do with insurance so I hope it's allowed. My mom's stopped driving, so she's gifted me her Highlander. It's been a few months, and it won't start, and the registration has expired.

So, I wasn't sure how to transfer the title. The Georgia page for this says some vehicles are required to pass inspection to transfer title. Also, it is insured, though under my insurance, which I've found may not be legal since I don't own the car.

If necessary I'll go down to the office and ask them, but thought I would ask here first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, it is insured, though under my insurance, which I've found may not be legal since I don't own the car.

That's not correct. People who lease cars don't own them but have insurance. The properly executed title gives you sufficient ownership interest to allow you to insure the car.

The Georgia page for this says some vehicles are required to pass inspection to transfer title

Yes.

Transfer Vehicle Titled In Georgia | Georgia Department of Revenue

But you can apply for a temporary tag to allow you time for repairs and emissions. Once you get the temporary tag you can get the test and register the car.

I am sure that your city has mobile mechanics who can come to your home and get your car drivable. Or, you can have it towed to a repair shop.

This is not rocket science. Take your properly executed title to the title office and they will help you figure it out.

This has only slightly to do with insurance so I hope it's allowed. My mom's stopped driving, so she's gifted me her Highlander. It's been a few months, and it won't start, and the registration has expired.

So, I wasn't sure how to transfer the title. The Georgia page for this says some vehicles are required to pass inspection to transfer title. Also, it is insured, though under my insurance, which I've found may not be legal since I don't own the car.

If necessary I'll go down to the office and ask them, but thought I would ask here first. Any suggestions are appreciated.

In ga it depends when she got the emissions inspection . If she got it in the last 7 or so months I believe you won’t have to get a new one for a yr . Has the title she signed over to you been dated? If so you have 30 days to transfer it .

Living in SC my whole life, the whole "car inspection" thing is totally foreign to me. Sounds like a huge PIA. Your rusted out jalopy can spit out nuclear waste and they dont care in SC... as long as you have your seatbelt on! lol

When I came to SC, they had just passed an "open container law" -no drinking while driving. People carried on like the whole Bill of Rights had been repealed.

Motor vehicle inspections were required, done by private garages. A licensed inspector gave my vehicle a $3 blessing and told me the passing grade on the licensing exam was 70% and he thought I was at least 70% in spec.

Back