Track Down Insurance Policy with Car Info

DaveMel

I was a passenger in a NJ Limo that got into a car accident. The insurance company listed in the vehicle accident report is claiming the policy number doesn't exist or might not be active.

the Insurance Code is 027 (I think its American Home Assurance Company)
I googled the number and the message said AIG. The person I am speaking to on the case has an email address ending with chartisinsurance

The policy info on the report reads 150 00 1100 (it could be I am reading it wrong, it could be some are letters? I have no idea.)
it expires on 05/03/12

I have the plates number, the vin number, the names of insured, the DBA name, the drivers info. Basically everything on the police report. (Will gladly share if it helps. )

My suspicion is that they have a new insurance, and the driver (who lied on the police report in other places) gave his old insurance card.)

Are there any ways to track down the insurance company of a car or any and all other pertinent info using a vin, license plate, number, etc... ?

Thanks a million,

David Melamed

didn't you already post a thread about this?

the answer to your question depends on which state this occurred in.

so instead of annoying people by re-posting twice, the logical thing to do would be to go back to the first thread you posted, and answer the last question, which is "what state did the accident occur in?".

that might help.

didn't you already post a thread about this?

the answer to your question depends on which state this occurred in.

so instead of annoying people by re-posting twice, the logical thing to do would be to go back to the first thread you posted, and answer the last question, which is "what state did the accident occur in?".

that might help.

He did, but it was different, so thats OK, he is new so he doesnt know all the forums.

To Dave, we really dont have a way to track down what you are looking for,

Sorry for double posting, I am new here and am not clear on proper etiquette. I posted two threads because I had two distinct questions...

My question in the first thread was, "will it hurt me to make a claim on my personal car insurance."

The question on this thread is, "is there a way to track down the insurer and/or policy number of a vehicle with information like a vin number or license plate number, or other identifying information."

It turns out that I got my answer to this thread from a police officer. The police can check within their state. Since this accident happened in NY and the plates were NJ, the insurance info didn't come up on the ny police officers computer.

An NJ cop should be able to pull the current insurance info. though.

dave, sorry to sound so snappy in my first post. been one of those days. my bad dude!

but it is concerning that the driver lied about the accident (leads me to believe the insurance lapsed on the policy and the driver knew about it).

but you shouldn't have to track the insurance company down. simply call the limo company and explain to them what happened. and if they give you any kind of runaround, threaten to call the NY attorney general and NY DOI. that will straighten them out!

It's all good. I hope you have a better day going forward.

I was pretty redundant with repeating my story, in forums I guess I am better off getting to the point.

I called them multiple times. they refuse to cooperate and have not responded to kindness or threats.

They are a dead end.

If anything, call the limo company, act as a new client, and say you need a certificate of insurance from them before you hire them.

If anything, call the limo company, act as a new client, and say you need a certificate of insurance from them before you hire them.

Thats a good idea. Gonna try that.

I filed a claim with progressive and am waiting for a response from them.
I assume they have people who can help track these folks down.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for the great insight.

Please see my post in your other thread. Yes you can do this in NY but not NJ. If the vehicle has NY plates this can be done where you run a plate search and the most recent insurance info will come back.

If the vehicle has NJ plates this does not work as well. It's getting better but not at the level of NY. You can try to run the plate if it's a NJ plate but it may not come back with insurance info.

I know a 100% way to figure this out though since I work in claims and have done so for many years. If you know someone in the claims world or law enforcement world, have them run ISO/NICB search on the vehicle and the name of the limo company. These limo companies always have lots of claims that will show up and they will show the insurance carrier for each of their prior losses. This is almost a sure bet to find out who the carrier is.

While this is great it will likely only get you the out of pocket costs that your PIP does not pay for. You can make a BI claim versus the at fault driver's insurance....again, see my lengthy post on the other thread. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Back