Trump Won, Vows Day 1 Full Repeal. Lets Discuss.

Why don't they put an underwriting option for those who qualify for lower rates. Also take out the maternity, immunizations for those who want that they can add it with a cost. Forget about an open enrollment but you can have guarantee issue but if you haven't had insurance for more than a 90-day span pre-x won't be covered for 2 years. Make providers list prices.

The folks that push buying across state lines think health insurance is like buying a TV.

We get TV's cheaper if they are made in China because labor is in China.

No problem. Get $2/hr Chinamen (and women) to make TV's. Ship them to USA and sell them for half price.

But health insurance is different.

You can't ship an OK brain, ready to transplant with a DIY kit to someone in NY and save money. The brain may arrive in good shape, but who is going to install it.

The BS argument that buying health care, and health insurance across state lines is just that. BS.

Doesn't matter if you are talking about pre-2014 insurance, Obamacare or Trumpcare.

It just doesn't work.

Rates will go down due to:
- No more 3R's
- No more bailing out companies who can't make it
- No more govt premium taxes
- No more billion-dollar IT systems that don't function well
- No more govt overhead (high salaries for the idiots running the show)
- No more hundreds-of-thousands paid out in govt grants for each navigator every year
- And more
Sure, some of this is paid-for by the taxpayer at tax time (those 50% who actually pay FIT)
But, a ton of it is well-hidden from the public in premiums..so that the govt can lay the blame on those greedy insurance companies.
Not sayin' they aren't greedy. They wanted this complicated mess as much as the govt did (for the votes).
Grueber knew how stupid everyone was. Very few are smart enough to see all of the layers & have the time to understand the monster.

Selling across state lines won't work; & Trump will be smart enough to see that when he gets an Insurance 101 briefing.

But, the middle class can't keep paying for all of this "less than the cost of a cell phone" crap for 50% of their fellow (bought-off) citizens. They're maxed out (unless they're rich).

I agree. Hey, cut out the Exchange, and there goes their 3.5% fee. All they are is an extra layer of insurance agency, at a 3.5% commission ---- err, I mean "fee".

Cut out all those taxes and money shifting. Simpler = less costly.

And for selling insurance over state lines, it's a great soundbite. It doesn't work in real life.

And for selling insurance over state lines, it's a great soundbite. It doesn't work in real life.

What is the distinction between selling "insurance" and selling "Medicare Supplements" over state lines?

Last edited:
TxOnline,

-The 3R's are a safety net that has encouraged carriers to under-price risk with the assumption that losses will be indemnified. Without it, they'll price higher.
-Bailing out companies means you can afford to take a risk that might require bailing out. No bail outs means more conservative, aka higher, pricing.
-Gov't premium taxes are relatively small, but you're right, rates are lower without them.
-The billion dollar IT systems were taxpayer funded, not part of premiums.
-Gov't overhead was also taxpayer funded.
-Navigators and staff were all taxpayer funded.

I agree on your other points. I'm sure you agree that what was promised is likely not what gets delivered..

You are one of the SMARTEST agents on this forum, Ray!
And, you are WELL-read on all of the above subjects.
So, don't take my comments wrong!

Just more info....for your reading enjoyment:

One of our BEST-priced HMO Plans was asking for a 6.9% rate increase for 2017. They actually made a profit in 2016 because they did a lot of things right.
But, they KNEW that they needed a little padding for 2017 (to survive the alligators coming their way in 2017).

THEN....suddenly they get a 3R bill from the govt.
(You'd know which 3R....but, I don't have the time to understand all of the 3R crap...and probably don't even have the smarts to "get" it if I DID spend hundreds of hours studying them.)

They were forced to increase my clients' premiums by almost 30% (instead of 6.9%).....JUST to cover a bailout for a BLUE company...that had to increase their premiums by up-to 58% (over 2016 rates)....and run-off most of THOSE clients.
Average premium for a young adult: approx $200/month
With a 6.9% rate increase, that would have been $213.80/month for 2017.
Now, it's about $275/month.
Just enough rate increase to run-OFF that healthy young risk.

So, don't tell me that the 3R's have nothing to do with skyrocketing premiums!
If you DO (tell me that), please don't even TRY to explain it to me.
I'm probably too dense to "get" it.
I value your knowledge, Ray.
So, again, please don't think I'm criticizing YOU.

Bottom line, nevertheless: Middle class is screwed. If they don't pay for it in taxes, they're paying for it in monthly premiums.

Just heard Trump wants to keep the part of the ACA that allows kids to stay on policy till 26 and that companies can't deny coverage for pre ex. So what real difference can he make if he keeps the no pre ex?

At 20k, I'll take my chances and spend the difference on staying healthy with clean eating, gym daily, bike riding, swimming and sailing. I'll buy some morphine and go off and die when the time comes.

Now - that is funny . . . Exactly what my Uncle did in the Himalayan Mountains in the 80's . . .

We actually had it figured out in Texas.

Underwriting for those who were insurable.
Premiums available for less-than $100/month at ANY age in many areas.

Tx Risk Pool (at much higher prices) for those who were not insurable.
Eat all of the junk food you want & lay on the couch watching your TV, but you're gonna get heart disease & diabetes...and pay for your sins.
Risk Pool was even subsidized by many different sources.

Medicaid for the poor...subsidized by the taxpayers.
County aid programs for the poor....paid for by Tx property taxes.
Our county Gold Card covered most of the expensive stuff 100%.
And, property taxes were low (till the real estate bubble hit us).
I believe it was Clinton who paved the way for everyone to own a home & drive up that market till the bubble busted. (And it will bust again. Obama's programs at work.)
NOT sayin' that Bush did a lot of things that were right, EITHER!!!
They are all crooks in my book.

But, health insurance worked in Texas.
HSA's worked, too!
People had skin in the game! They had a chance to influence the cost of medicine. Don't use that doc who charges $5000 to fix your knee. There's a reputable doc down the street who still charges $1000.

Go to the Medical Center downtown to have your baby if you wanna pay $10,000.
Or, go to the Space Center hospital & pay $4500.

Back