Trying to find an insurer for small welding shop

DDW

In Arkansas, small mom and pop shop. 5 years in business. They just moved into a building they completely renovated. Looking for Gen Liability for premises as well as for work done. Need coverage for about $50k in tools.

I am a new agent and have tried about 4 companies I have access to but to no avail. Looking for insurers that I can contact. Thanks everyone.

Contact your surplus lines wholesaler. There are few if any admitted carriers that will write this. Too high risk. I have a close friend who almost died and now has to use a catheter for the rest of his life because of an accident on a structural steel job. Not only have I heard stories about welding projects starting fires, I actually saw a friend of mine start a small fire, then later damage a vehicle on one small welding job.

Find a wholesaler such as Allrisks or RT Specialty for this submission.

Products and completed operations is the challenge for these risks so give the underwriter all the details of the operation and the products they are welding. If any of those tools leave the premises then you'll need to include them under inland marine.

But a good wholesale broker will assist you on this, and the many other hard to place risks you will encounter in the days ahead.

Good Selling!

Back