Fire Ratings for Construction Materials

MIGA1626

Super Genius
Does anyone know a good way to find "flame spread ratings" ect... on various construction materials? Liberty Mutual is giving me a hard time about a 6 story building that is clearly ISO 6 fire resistive but because there is a little bit of siding they are trying to say its ISO 1 which is outlandish. They said if I can show the flame spread rating is low enough we can keep it ISO 6, also same thing for the foam around the steel beams inside. I already wrote the policy and they are trying to raise the premium from 20K to 55K.

Maybe IRMI? But may cost you some $ for the information.

Does anyone know a good way to find "flame spread ratings" ect... on various construction materials? Liberty Mutual is giving me a hard time about a 6 story building that is clearly ISO 6 fire resistive but because there is a little bit of siding they are trying to say its ISO 1 which is outlandish. They said if I can show the flame spread rating is low enough we can keep it ISO 6, also same thing for the foam around the steel beams inside. I already wrote the policy and they are trying to raise the premium from 20K to 55K.
Sorry, I don't have a good answer.

If it was me, and I couldn't get anywhere with the carrier, I'd be getting ready to tell the insured they are going to need to hire an inspector, or get ready to pay an extra $35k in premium.

Right now the carriers are coming up with a variety of different excuses to raise premium or cancel policies. Often times, even after you get them the info and or changes they ask for, they just more or less say "too bad" and move forward with the increase or cancellation anyhow.

I've been an agent for 51 years and this is the first time I have heard this. I wouldn't know where to start to get this info. As someone mentioned, I think carriers are looking for any way to increase premium. If you find how to get this info, please let us know. Good luck.

I've been an agent for 51 years and this is the first time I have heard this. I wouldn't know where to start to get this info. As someone mentioned, I think carriers are looking for any way to increase premium. If you find how to get this info, please let us know. Good luck.
Lately I'm hearing about stuff like this every week, unfortunately.

Sorry, I don't have a good answer.

If it was me, and I couldn't get anywhere with the carrier, I'd be getting ready to tell the insured they are going to need to hire an inspector, or get ready to pay an extra $35k in premium.

Right now the carriers are coming up with a variety of different excuses to raise premium or cancel policies. Often times, even after you get them the info and or changes they ask for, they just more or less say "too bad" and move forward with the increase or cancellation anyhow.

What type of inspector would that be? Just a normal building inspector?

What type of inspector would that be? Just a normal building inspector?
No idea. I would put it on the client to figure out, and I have in situations like this.

Now, to give you full context, I'm in California. So, after a brief Google search, or chat with their neighbors, my client quickly realizes they should be grateful they're even getting insurance quotes at all, and return phone calls and emails from their agent. Both of which are getting harder and harder to come by in California.

Back