Turning 65 & Social Security Disability - Do You Lose Current Health Coverage ?

There has to be more to the story of her losing coverage.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Yes. Now I am curious as to what that is.

I guess that will be the first question for her daughter.

I thought she said it was because she was going on regular social security. I could have misunderstood what she said.

But I am wondering why they haven't done anything yet as she is past 65 by 2 months and I assume has been on regular social security for a few months now.

Something is not adding up.

Last edited:
Yes. Now I am curious as to what that is.

I guess that will be the first question for her daughter.

I thought she said it was because she was going on regular social security. I could have misunderstood what she said.

But I am wondering why they haven't done anything yet as she is past 65 by 2 months and I assume has been on regular social security for a few months now.

Something is not adding up.

No something doesn't seem right and the clock is ticking on her OE.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Usually whoever is discontinuing someone's coverage sends them a letter, stating when, why, and what their options are. Ask to see hers. Then read it.

Usually whoever is discontinuing someone's coverage sends them a letter, stating when, why, and what their options are. Ask to see hers. Then read it.

This is good advice!

Maybe I will have the daughter fax or e-mail that to me if she can't explain why her mom is lost coverage.

She did say she is paying for moms medications. So maybe they have been without coverage for a while.

Just doesn't add up.

I wonder if losing S.S. disability and going on regular S.S. would cause a person to lose LIS for Part D ?

I would think it would, and if so, at what point would they determine you no longer "deemed" eligible?

I wonder if losing S.S. disability and going on regular S.S. would cause a person to lose LIS for Part D ?

I would think it would, and if so, at what point would they determine you no longer "deemed" eligible?

That would depend on the specific SS benefit she qualifies for. Lots of people on regular SS retirement benefits qualify for LIS at some level. Some don't.

Generally the income limit is $23,265 (married, living together), $17,235 otherwise, could be higher if dependents in the home. Resources cannot usually exceed $26,860/$13,440, but can be a tad higher if they will be used for final expenses. There are a few more nuances SS puts in the LIS rules to make things more complicated. I always apply the people if they're close or even a bit over the limit -- sometimes I'm surprised by an approval, and whenever that happens, you've got a friend for a long time.

That would depend on the specific SS benefit she qualifies for.

What would depend on the specific SS benefit ?

She was on SSDI and I understand that qualifies for LIS part D, correct "

The daughter tells me she lost or is losing some "coverage" because she is going on to regular SS.

I am wondering if she loses the LIS part D immediately when she goes off of SSDI ?

I think at some point she must "re-apply" for LIS part D as she will be on regular SS, but at what point ?

I am speculating ( I know thats bad) as to what "coverage" she has lost by turning 65 and going on SS.

She wasn't clear and I am not familiar with this area.

I always apply the people if they're close or even a bit over the limit -- sometimes I'm surprised by an approval, and whenever that happens, you've got a friend for a long time.

Do you apply online through the Social Security website ?

If you do, do you put your information as the person helping them or leave that blank ?

Is there a way to stay in the "loop" as to when/if they qualify other than calling them in 3 weeks to see if they got the letter from SS ?

Thanks!

The daughter tells me she lost or is losing some "coverage" because she is going on to regular SS.

I am wondering if she loses the LIS part D immediately when she goes off of SSDI ?

I think at some point she must "re-apply" for LIS part D as she will be on regular SS, but at what point ?

I am speculating ( I know thats bad) as to what "coverage" she has lost by turning 65 and going on SS.

She wasn't clear and I am not familiar with this area.

If you do, do you put your information as the person helping them or leave that blank ?

Is there a way to stay in the "loop" as to when/if they qualify other than calling them in 3 weeks to see if they got the letter from SS ?

Thanks!

Sorry, C-Agent, I sent a reply several days ago and for some reason it didn't "take."

Whether a beneficiary qualifies for LIS depends, in part, upon their income. I gave the limits in a previous post. Usually people who are on SSDI have an income that is below that threshhold, but not always. Sometimes a spouse's income or other factors keep people from qualifying. But it always depends on income and resources, not on what other programs or benefits one has. As to the timing, since Social Security is in charge of the LIS program, they will know immediately if income rises above the limit, I would think. There would be no need to reapply unless she loses the LIS and then she requalifies at a later date as her situation changes.

That being said, many people who have ordinary SS retirement benetits have a low enough income to qualify for LIS.

Yes, all the time! It's a great way to 1) help people tremendously with their finances by lowering their costs; and 2) get them an SEP so you can enroll them in a Part C plan in the middle of the year.

Yes I do put my info in, and for relationship to applicant, I enter "other" and then "insurance agent."

If they get approved, you can see it immediately on the medicare.gov site. I start watching my pending Extra Help cases after a week or so. Just had one approved today, and the beneficiary is ecstatic. If they are declined, you only will know when some time has gone by and no approval, or the client calls you.

Thanks

Don't mention it!!

If they get approved, you can see it immediately on the medicare.gov site. I start watching my pending Extra Help cases after a week or so. Just had one approved today, and the beneficiary is ecstatic. If they are declined, you only will know when some time has gone by and no approval, or the client calls you.

Where do you check on medicare.gov for the Extra Help ?

Back