Twist in Obamacare Scotus Decision

bluediamond

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Twist in Obamacare Supreme Court case: Weak plaintiffs

New revelations about the four plaintiffs fighting President Barack Obama’s health care law may dramatically shift the course of the case Wednesday, when the Supreme Court will hear both sides present their arguments for the first time.
In recent weeks, media reports have raised questions about whether the four men and women from Virginia who were recruited by a libertarian think tank to challenge the law have the right to do so. The plaintiffs’ shaky footing could prove a mark against them on Wednesday — if any of the justices decide to pursue it.

Petitioners must show they are suffering direct harm from a law in order to sue, which is referred to as standing. In this case, all four plaintiffs said the federal subsidies available to them from Obamacare pushed them over the law’s income threshold and forced them to buy health insurance or pay a penalty. They want those subsidies struck down, based on their literal interpretation of the Affordable Care Act, which suggests tax credits should have gone only to people who live in states that set up their own health care exchanges.

But two of the plaintiffs, David King and Douglas Hurst, are Vietnam veterans, which means it’s likely they qualify for insurance through the Department of Veterans Affairs and would thus not be required to buy insurance on the exchange, The Wall Street Journal recently reported. A third, Rose Luck, listed a motel as her permanent address in court papers and no longer lives there, raising questions about whether she’s in the same economic and geographic circumstances that she was when she decided to sue. And it’s possible that the fourth plaintiff, Brenda Levy, may actually qualify for the income exemption under the health care law, which would mean she does not have to purchase insurance and is not harmed by subsidies.

To read the whole article click on link

Twist in Obamacare Supreme Court case: Weak plaintiffs

New revelations about the four plaintiffs fighting President Barack Obama’s health care law may dramatically shift the course of the case Wednesday, when the Supreme Court will hear both sides present their arguments for the first time.
In recent weeks, media reports have raised questions about whether the four men and women from Virginia who were recruited by a libertarian think tank to challenge the law have the right to do so. The plaintiffs’ shaky footing could prove a mark against them on Wednesday — if any of the justices decide to pursue it.

Petitioners must show they are suffering direct harm from a law in order to sue, which is referred to as standing. In this case, all four plaintiffs said the federal subsidies available to them from Obamacare pushed them over the law’s income threshold and forced them to buy health insurance or pay a penalty. They want those subsidies struck down, based on their literal interpretation of the Affordable Care Act, which suggests tax credits should have gone only to people who live in states that set up their own health care exchanges.

But two of the plaintiffs, David King and Douglas Hurst, are Vietnam veterans, which means it’s likely they qualify for insurance through the Department of Veterans Affairs and would thus not be required to buy insurance on the exchange, The Wall Street Journal recently reported. A third, Rose Luck, listed a motel as her permanent address in court papers and no longer lives there, raising questions about whether she’s in the same economic and geographic circumstances that she was when she decided to sue. And it’s possible that the fourth plaintiff, Brenda Levy, may actually qualify for the income exemption under the health care law, which would mean she does not have to purchase insurance and is not harmed by subsidies.

To read the whole article click on link

Yeh, I dunno about that. The Supreme Court as always is only being asked to rule on issues that are on appeal from the lower courts. Neither the lower courts nor the government have raised the issue of standing so it makes it harder for the Court to find a way to bite into it. And as a practical matter they did not decide to hear the case just to lean over backwards to dismiss it or to just let the lower court rulings stand by not hearing it. If the government had raised the issue of standing or if a lower court had dismissed it then the issue would be solidly before the court. Also, I think the case is a class action so it does not go away just because one of the plaintiffs does. For example one or more of the plaintiffs will qualify for medicare possibly before the case is decided but that does not make the class which makes up the plaintiffs all go away. I will leave that to the court but I am just sayin this is not as shaky as the article would suggest.

To me the most important development of late is all this talk among Congress that if the court shoots subsidies down that Congress will will still make good on the subsidies through a transition period rather than just pull the plug. Yeh, it means they are backing down from campaign promises to just torpedo it but it also give the Court a clear signal (and the justices read the papers, duh, even if it is not part of the case) that they can go ahead and shoot this down if they want and it won't be all that scary. Talk like that from Congress is not what the government wants to hear because the Regime wants to be able to continue to argue that everyone's private parts are going to fall off if subsidies are shot down. And no one wants that, eh?

Talk like that from Congress is not what the government wants to hear because they want to be able to continue to argue that everyone's private parts are going to fall off if subsidies are shot down. And no one wants that, eh?

I'm confused. You're not assuming the Republitards actually have private parts are you?

Rick

I'm confused. You're not assuming the Republitards actually have private parts are you?

Rick

No but they are good at talk and that does not require much in the way of cojones or frijoles or whatever you Northern Mexicans call them.

Usually talk does not do much but in this instance it does help to have some kind of answer to what they would do if the subsidies are shot down. Since they are politicians who knows what they will/would actually do but it is a pretty good answer for the timebeing and it undermines the fearmongering by the Regime so I am all for it. And of course to fund it through a phase out period is a sort of caving in (even if it helps to win a larger battle) and quite a few of them are good at caving in so I can see it happening.

Hopefully the private parts will not stand up in court, as it were.

Condoleezza-Rice.jpg

It occurs to me that since so few people are paying the Individual Mandate, Just Us Roberts could have sided with the other conservatives in 2012, and it wouldn't have made much difference in the functioning of ObamaScare.

The one being argued this week however, is a big pluckin deal.

This issue of "standing" has come up before. It must not be too much of a problem, or the case wouldn't still be before the court. We'll see what happens.

Back