Two RSV Vaccines Approved

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
it’s time to think about the usual suspects — influenza and covid-19 shots — but also the new kid in town: recently approved vaccines for RSV, short for respiratory syncytial virus.

But who should get the various vaccines, and when?

“For the eligible populations, all three shots are highly recommended,” said Georges Benjamin, a physician and the executive director of the American Public Health Association.

Still, there’s no need to get them all at the same time, and there are reasons to wait a bit for two of them. Some people may also face cost issues.

https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/timing-cost-vaccines-insurance-flu-covid-rsv/

Also . . .

Both vaccines for older adults use traditional platforms—similar to a flu shot (and not to be confused with the mRNA technology introduced by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna to prevent COVID-19). The RSV vaccines work by introducing an inactivated RSV protein into the body, where it fuses to host cells and stimulates the immune system to recognize the actual RSV virus if/when it encounters it and help prevent severe disease.

Both vaccines performed well in clinical trials, according to data presented to the FDA. Arexvy™, developed by GSK, was the first to receive FDA approval—in early May—based on data from a trial conducted by the company in the U.S. and internationally. The ongoing trial is following participants through three RSV seasons. In late June, GSK reported an overall efficacy of 82.6% against lower respiratory tract disease during the first season, 77.3% for mid-season, and 67.2% over two seasons. Against severe disease, efficacy was 94.1% during the first season, 84.6% at mid-season, and 78.8% over two seasons.

The second vaccine, called Abrysvo™, from Pfizer, showed an efficacy of almost 89% against LRTD involving at least three symptoms in the first year after vaccination, and 78.6% mid-way through a second season in the data presented to the FDA. LRTD symptoms include new or increased cough, wheezing, sputum (phlegm) production, shortness of breath, and/or tachypnea (abnormally rapid breathing).

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Should You Get the New RSV Vaccine?

it’s time to think about the usual suspects — influenza and covid-19 shots — but also the new kid in town: recently approved vaccines for RSV, short for respiratory syncytial virus.

But who should get the various vaccines, and when?

“For the eligible populations, all three shots are highly recommended,” said Georges Benjamin, a physician and the executive director of the American Public Health Association.

Still, there’s no need to get them all at the same time, and there are reasons to wait a bit for two of them. Some people may also face cost issues.

https://kffhealthnews.org/news/article/timing-cost-vaccines-insurance-flu-covid-rsv/

Also . . .

Both vaccines for older adults use traditional platforms—similar to a flu shot (and not to be confused with the mRNA technology introduced by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna to prevent COVID-19). The RSV vaccines work by introducing an inactivated RSV protein into the body, where it fuses to host cells and stimulates the immune system to recognize the actual RSV virus if/when it encounters it and help prevent severe disease.

Both vaccines performed well in clinical trials, according to data presented to the FDA. Arexvy™, developed by GSK, was the first to receive FDA approval—in early May—based on data from a trial conducted by the company in the U.S. and internationally. The ongoing trial is following participants through three RSV seasons. In late June, GSK reported an overall efficacy of 82.6% against lower respiratory tract disease during the first season, 77.3% for mid-season, and 67.2% over two seasons. Against severe disease, efficacy was 94.1% during the first season, 84.6% at mid-season, and 78.8% over two seasons.

The second vaccine, called Abrysvo™, from Pfizer, showed an efficacy of almost 89% against LRTD involving at least three symptoms in the first year after vaccination, and 78.6% mid-way through a second season in the data presented to the FDA. LRTD symptoms include new or increased cough, wheezing, sputum (phlegm) production, shortness of breath, and/or tachypnea (abnormally rapid breathing).

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Should You Get the New RSV Vaccine?
I don't trust Big Pharma/FDA and I no longer trust vaccines. I have severe COPD and in the last 2 years I've been hospitalized 5 days with the Wuhan and pneumonia and 5 days with RSV and pneumonia. RSV was worse. No vaccines, and I'm still here pissing off Liberals.

I don't trust Big Pharma/FDA and I no longer trust vaccines. I have severe COPD and in the last 2 years I've been hospitalized 5 days with the Wuhan and pneumonia and 5 days with RSV and pneumonia. RSV was worse. No vaccines, and I'm still here pissing off Liberals.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I understand your concern. At this point I don't plan on getting the RSV vax or Wuhan booster but I may get the flu vax later on.

I did get the J&J vax to get my family off my back . . . figured it had fewer complication risks than the others. No health issues, no routine meds . . . haven't had a cold in 3+ years. I could be lucky or just have good genes.

FWIW should others be interested there is this.

One such virus that be especially risky for people with COPD is respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). With RSV season approaching, we spoke to the experts to learn more about the risks of getting RSV when you have COPD, how to avoid severe infection and complications (including the low-down on the new RSV vaccine), and what to do ASAP if you think you’ve come down with an RSV infection.
https://www.healthcentral.com/condition/copd/what-people-with-copd-should-know-about-rsv

The "pharmaceutical effect" is a real thing that few will venture to discuss, add this to our poor diets and inactivity levels and you create a perfect storm for much of the "health issues " we are seeing.

I live with a "crunchy" wife. She's been a blessing and probably the reason I haven't had a heart attack or been diagnosed with diabetes yet. :yes:

He had some great hair. :yes:
euell-gibbons.jpg

Back