Universal Property won't pay a reimbursement

Romeo013110

Hello, this is my first time on this site so forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere...
Last July I put in a claim for water damage to my bathroom with Universal Property and Alder Adjusting. The company paid out the claim minus the deductible. They stated that I was eligible for a reimbursement of over $500 if I sent them receipts of the finalized work done along with pictures and a notarized statement. I sent this to them in early February 2021. Three months have gone by and my claims adjuster keeps on saying that the matter is in her supervisor's hands for processing. The first payment, for about $1800, was provided within weeks of the inspection of damage. This reimbursement, nevertheless, is taking months, and it is so easy to verify with the invoices I have provided.

Is this an indicator that the company does not intend to pay me? Is there anything I can do to force their hand? If this continues, with whom should I lodge a complaint? If I leave their company, do I forfeit my right to the deductible?

Many insurance company employees are working from home die to the pandemic. You can file a complaint with your state's Department of Insurance.

Is this an indicator that the company does not intend to pay me?

Not necessarily. Could just be a backlog of claims.

Is there anything I can do to force their hand? If this continues, with whom should I lodge a complaint?

The state insurance regulatory agency which, in Florida, is this:

Need Our Help

Unfortunately, filing a complaint often results in more claim delays because the claim is pulled out of the processing system and put on hold for review by upper management. You might want to give it a couple more weeks.

If I leave their company, do I forfeit my right to the deductible?

It's not the deductible that you get back, it's the difference between the cost of repairs and the depreciated value of those repairs.

Example:

Total repairs $3000
Recoverable Depreciation -$700
ACV $2300
Deductible $500
First payment $1800

Recoverable depreciation of $700 gets paid upon the completion of the repairs if you spent $3000. If you spend less than $3000 you get less than $700.

Look at your loss worksheet. It's there.

If, by leave the company, you mean place your insurance elsewhere, no, you would not lose your right to the depreciation reimbursement.

Back