Urgent Care is Cash Only, no Insurance

The author and interviewees in this article should do their due diligence before airing their grievances. Georgia us NOT a PIP state, therefore there is no coverage on the auto policy for the driver unless there is an endorsement for PIP coverage. The family had a medical policy but does not state whether they attempted to use that at the Urgent Care and they are OOP $1000+ for their Emergency Room visit. Does not state the deductible on med policy so they may/may not even have a bill.
If they had been seen at Urgent Care and a missed concussion or further injury had been missed, they would be the first to sue the Urgent Care and any and all attending personnel. Pay your bill and stop the pity party.

Does not say what the deductible is on their insurance (medical) policy and why would any question arise as to how and when auto insurance would pay? Is this a PIP state?

The lady is a college student. Can't say if she is on dad's insurance or one of the crappy school plans.

Can't say if GA is a PIP state or not. I am not a P&C guy. My policy has a $5k med pay "benefit"

not sure how this relates to senior health insurance.

Seniors drive. Seniors use urgent care.

Duh!

The family had a medical policy but does not state whether they attempted to use that at the Urgent Care and they are OOP $1000+ for their Emergency Room visit.

The article is reasonably typical for reporting about insurance matters. . . they often stress the click bait information and miss the substance.

Triage most likely revealed the injury was an auto accident, which means a third party payer might be involved. And this particular urgent care is cash only, which is what I have experienced when I have used this type of facility.

Low overhead typically dictates non-existent claim filing and no cash, no treatment.

There are a few things that stick-out as strange to me. 1. The car flips 3 times and the backend was crushed, see the picture. They decided seek care on the way home because the daughter was to take an advanced test soon. Seems a little nonchalant for such a situation. Seems to me that most parents would be a little more concerned. 2. The father was told 3 times the facility did not take 3rd party insurance, although he did not know what it was. Why did he not ask for an explanation? 3. The date of service was 5/3/21 and the collection letter went out 18 days later. 4. Not really a $17,000 bill due to duplicate, true bill was $11,805. 5. According to the billing, only carrier involved was BCBS plan, no 3rd Party. 6. Article states "Cash Only", which is not true, they just don't accept 3rd party. The parent must have showed the medical ID.

All in all, this situation played out as one would assume. And the amount of money paid by the patient/father is in line as to what would be expected.

Lou Ellen Horwitz, CEO of the Urgent Care Association, said it’s a pretty standard policy for urgent care centers not to treat injuries that result from car crashes, even minor ones. “Generally, as a rule, they do not take care of car accident victims regardless of the extent of their injuries, because it is going to go through that auto insurance claims process before the provider gets paid,” she said.

Car insurance usually pays last.

Regardless, as stated before, urgent care usually does not take any insurance . . . at least that is my experience.

The point of the story, in my opinion, is no matter how insignificant the injury seems, don't go to an urgent care and expect to use insurance, especially car insurance.

Lou Ellen Horwitz, CEO of the Urgent Care Association, said it’s a pretty standard policy for urgent care centers not to treat injuries that result from car crashes, even minor ones. “Generally, as a rule, they do not take care of car accident victims regardless of the extent of their injuries, because it is going to go through that auto insurance claims process before the provider gets paid,” she said.

Car insurance usually pays last.

Regardless, as stated before, urgent care usually does not take any insurance . . . at least that is my experience.

The point of the story, in my opinion, is no matter how insignificant the injury seems, don't go to an urgent care and expect to use insurance, especially car insurance.
Hate to disagree with my friend, but Urgent Care Centers almost always accept insurance. This location (Atrium) lists the insurance plans accepted.

Hate to disagree with my friend, but Urgent Care Centers almost always accept insurance. This location (Atrium) lists the insurance plans accepted.

Do they take car insurance med pay?

There is also the potential medical liability from injury in a car wreck.

If I were doing triage here I wouldn't treat either.

PLUS . . . they are not subject to EMTALA

The lady is a college student. Can't say if she is on dad's insurance or one of the crappy school plans.

Can't say if GA is a PIP state or not. I am not a P&C guy. My policy has a $5k med pay "benefit"

Seniors drive. Seniors use urgent care.

Duh!
She was the driver. Standard liability on an auto policy pays for injuries to passengers and/or the person she hits, but NOT the driver. PIP covers the driver.

She was the driver. Standard liability on an auto policy pays for injuries to passengers and/or the person she hits, but NOT the driver. PIP covers the driver.

Not PIP, med pay . . .

A. We will pay reasonable expenses incurred for necessary medical and funeral services because
of bodily injury:
1. Caused by accident; and
2. Sustained by an insured. We will pay only those expenses incurred for services rendered within 3 years from the date
of the accident.
B. "Insured" as used in this Part means:
1. You or any family member:
a. While occupying; or
b. As a pedestrian when struck by;
a motor vehicle designed for use mainly on public roads or a trailer of any type.
2. Any other person while occupying your covered auto.

Do they take car insurance med pay?

There is also the potential medical liability from injury in a car wreck.

If I were doing triage here I wouldn't treat either.

PLUS . . . they are not subject to EMTALA
Sorry, should have been more clear. I agree they do not take auto insurance medical. I was referring to medical insurance.

Latest posts

Back