Value of Domain Name - Opinion?

I agree with the value being tied to "what you can/will do with it", but there are still good names and crappy names.

And I understand your point about the relative value of those names (but not directly proportionate in dollars to those search result numbers), but none of that answers the question of whether it's worth $1700 (that I currently feel is a fair price).

Let me ask this, since I'm not in the insurance business: If you are an agent/broker with a website that is the either well branded or awkward sounding and hard to remember how to spell, and you are looking for another feeder website, one great for lead generation, and you're NOT going to go out and buy quote.com, then is MyQuoteNow.com worth $1700? I'm not here to argue value but to get opinions, and it would seem so to me.

Speaking just on branding potential in the insurance field alone, MyQuoteNow isn't great. It's one of those that reeks of someone trying different strings of words with the word "quote" in them until one comes back as available. Anyone could get "MyQuoteHome," "MyQuoteSpace," "YourQuoteSpot," etc. for practically nothing.

Last edited:
none of that answers the question of whether it's worth $1700 (that I currently feel is a fair price).

Domain names, houses, cars and sex are all valued based on what the buyer is willing to pay, not what the seller is asking.

I agree with the value being tied to "what you can/will do with it", but there are still good names and crappy names.

And I understand your point about the relative value of those names (but not directly proportionate in dollars to those search result numbers), but none of that answers the question of whether it's worth $1700 (that I currently feel is a fair price).

Let me ask this, since I'm not in the insurance business: If you are an agent/broker with a website that is the either well branded or awkward sounding and hard to remember how to spell, and you are looking for another feeder website, one great for lead generation, and you're NOT going to go out and buy quote.com, then is MyQuoteNow.com worth $1700? I'm not here to argue value but to get opinions, and it would seem so to me.
Premium domain names (IMO) aren't worth it.

As long as your domain sounds professional (not GetQuotezNowYo.biz) it really doesn't matter. Most agents aren't going to be able to "brand" a site. They sure as hell can get it to search and convert which again, for most, is all that matters.

If it was me, I'd run a search of all the sites with "price" or "quote" in the domain name. Then I'd email blast all of them. I don't know if I'd actually look up all their email addresses, or just add info@ and sales@ and contact@ to each one to cut down on time and deal with the bounce backs.

I'd start at a very high number, because by contacting that many people you may find just the right one that really really wants the domain for whatever reason.

That's just me, though.

I also have HoldMyBeer. com but have not developed the site yet.

Oh man, that's a great one. As a dirtbiker and 4wheeler, my imagination is already running overtime on that one.
hold_my_beer.jpg

07f.jpg

97a4ba95e51ac8c7f667011198b20214.jpg

images

If you really own that site, I would develop the hell out of it.

As I said, most agents aren't capable of creating a "brand" so the actual domain isn't super important (to an extent).

But, that's already a common saying. It would be a great side project.
I just checked and it's taken.

Back