Vidoes for Website

JosephDeacon

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
At the suggestion of my web developer, and from some on this board, I've decided to add some short, to the point video content to my site.

I'm just looking for some ideas. Obviously, you want to give visitors some info, but it has to be engaging. Insurance isn't exactly what most consumers find "exciting".

I'm thinking of the first three videos being:

1. Intro video on the homepage, give people an overview of who we are, areas we specialize in, and a call to action.

2. Focus on employee benefits, ACA consulting and key on health care reform.

3. Focus on my other major area of work which is in the individual life, DI, LTC, and Medicare markets.

Thoughts? Even if they are simple and short, I feel like people are way more engaged by a video than by reading pages and pages of text (although I get that the text and articles are quite important for SEO).

Thanks everyone.

My suggestion would be to skip the bland "about us" type of information (particularly #1) and create videos that are provocative, timely and engaging. Those type of videos often start out with titles such as:

7 Reasons why you must...
The 5 Worst Things you..

Basically, something to peak their interest, and then provide content that will be useful and thought provoking. Also, I would keep them relatively short, perhaps no more than 2 or 3 minutes, 5 at the most (obviously this would not pertain to a webinar). Can't tell you how many times I have gone to a page to watch a video that seemed interesting only to find out I would have to sit through 10 minutes or more and left without watching.

My suggestion would be to skip the bland "about us" type of information (particularly #1) and create videos that are provocative, timely and engaging. Those type of videos often start out with titles such as:

7 Reasons why you must...
The 5 Worst Things you..

Basically, something to peak their interest, and then provide content that will be useful and thought provoking.

Wrong homonym alert. You do not "peak" their interest. The word is pique, as in to excite. You pique interest.

Last edited:
Insurance may not be the most entertaining subject, but I think you can frame it in an interesting way (maybe something like what LOM58 suggested). Also, just speaking in a friendly, engaging, and concise way will help keep peoples attention. Presumably, if they are on your website they are already interested in learning about insurance, so just try to make it useful and worth their while. A 3 minute max is usually the rule of thumb, after that people lose their patience.

Wrong homonym alert. You do not "peak" their interest. The word is pique, as in to excite. You pique interest.

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, through common usage, many people mistakenly think that peak is grammatically correct because it suggests the "height" of interest instead of "arousing" or "exciting" interest, which is what pique means. As witnessed, I sometimes fall into that mistaken usage as well, even though I am well aware of the difference between the two and which is grammatically correct.

Having said that, or, more properly, written that, was your correction really necessary and did it contribute anything at all to the topic of the post?

I have to re-record the videos tomorrow due to some audio glitch. I'll try to see if I can fit in "peak" and "piqué" into the videos and then post here for the benefit of this thread.

Back