Wanting to Get Started- What to Do?

Priceisright

I recently acquired my L&H license a couple of months ago and I want to get started using it.

My experience in health insurance is minimal. My last job and current job are within the industry but not sales related. Here's the catch, I really need to find something where I can work from/based out of my home due to medical/personal reasons. Are there agencies who offer positions like this? Would I be better off doing the independent agent thing? I imagine it wouldn't be easy having no network or clients.

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

I recently acquired my L&H license a couple of months ago and I want to get started using it.

My experience in health insurance is minimal. My last job and current job are within the industry but not sales related. Here's the catch, I really need to find something where I can work from/based out of my home due to medical/personal reasons. Are there agencies who offer positions like this? Would I be better off doing the independent agent thing? I imagine it wouldn't be easy having no network or clients.

If you don't have a clue you need to find someone to train you. With no experience and trying to sell from home I think your chances of succeeding are about zero.

Last edited:

If you are going to be working from home, it seems to be that you will be mainly targeting online shoppers. If this is the route you are going to be taking, then you need to get trained in a couple of different areas.

1. You need to be very proficient in your niche. Research, research, research until you think you are an expert in your new field - then research some more. If you audience considers you an expert, your credibility increases which will lead to more sales.

2. Blogging/Wordpress - the best way to reach an audience online is by blogging. I would recommend purchasing the Thesis Wordpress theme as it is primed for beginners and search engine optimization (which we will get into in step 3). Blogging original quality content that is value-adding to the end user will become viral in itself and is one of the best ways to market yourself online.

3. Learn SEO (search engine optimization) - you don't need to become an expert but knowing the basics will help increase visibility of your content and branding. I would recommend going to seomoz.org and read the Beginner's Guide to SEO. Everything the beginner needs to know about SEO is outlined and if you stick to these standards, you shouldn't have any problems getting your website ranked over time (as long as your are providing original, value-adding content).

Spend some time now bettering yourself in these areas and you will be setting yourself up for success - at least online.

Thank you for the input. To the person who asked, I am in Texas.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am definitely open to starting out working for a company rather than being 100% independent. Especially due to my lack of experience. Are there companies that offer this sort of position? Or am I screwed without a database of leads and clients?

I previously worked at a GA and have many connections there and I'm currently working for an ancillary product company. Where should I go to gain experience and training? I'm somewhat lost on which path to take. While ideally I need (not just want) to work out of the home, I am willing to spend some more time working elsewhere for a while if it means I can learn. I won't go into details but it is just challenging for me physically/healthwise to be in an office that is not my home for 9 hours a day.

Once again, thank you for all of your input and information. I look forward to learning more and exploring this new career.

Last edited:
Back