What advice to give USPS retirees?

pogo

Expert
USPS retirees will move from FEHB to the Postal Service Health Benefits starting January 2025. See info at https://liteblue.usps.gov/humanresources/benefits/insurance/pshb.htm

The USPB is still taking shape and there are few details so far.

I’m talking with someone already retired from USPS and turns 65 in November. He’s currently on a FEHB plan. He’s not yet enrolled in Medicare and asking for advice, especially how to have the most options available when PSHB starts in 2025.

My read is that he should enroll in Part A now, but hold off on Part B. When 2025 comes, he can stay in PSHB without B. Or if he wants to leave PSHB then, he can enroll in B at that point and be able to sign up for a GA Medigap or any Medicare Advantage plan.

What advice would you give to someone in this situation?

Have your prospect call OPM for advice. That should keep your tit out of the ringer if your advice backfires

USPS retirees will move from FEHB to the Postal Service Health Benefits starting January 2025. See info at https://liteblue.usps.gov/humanresources/benefits/insurance/pshb.htm

The USPB is still taking shape and there are few details so far.

I’m talking with someone already retired from USPS and turns 65 in November. He’s currently on a FEHB plan. He’s not yet enrolled in Medicare and asking for advice, especially how to have the most options available when PSHB starts in 2025.

My read is that he should enroll in Part A now, but hold off on Part B. When 2025 comes, he can stay in PSHB without B. Or if he wants to leave PSHB then, he can enroll in B at that point and be able to sign up for a GA Medigap or any Medicare Advantage plan.

What advice would you give to someone in this situation?

If he’s not retired he doesn’t need to sign up for B yet as his postal ins is credible coverage . Once he retires if he keeps his postal ins and doesn’t sign up for B which he doesn’t need. If down the line he wants out of his postal ins he’ll have a penalty for life when he signs up for Part B . Also advise him to freeze his benefits as he can always go back to his postal benefits .

Also advise him to freeze his benefits as he can always go back to his postal benefits .

Be aware that FEHB benefits can only be suspended if the person is going to an MAPD. If they want OM and a Supp, FEHB has to be terminated (forever). I just recently learned this.

Be aware that FEHB benefits can only be suspended if the person is going to an MAPD. If they want OM and a Supp, FEHB has to be terminated (forever). I just recently learned this.

Didn’t know that . Good info . I’m working on a comparison right now . Both 68 still working and on Gehb . Husband about to retire . He’s got cancer . They want to know if a med sup better than their coverage . He’s got a $6500 moop he’s hit . Plus has some out of network costs . Pays around $150 for coverage . So if he drops it about the same as the Part B premium. I’m just waiting on what cancer drug he has to take for 2 yrs to look at cost with Part D vs His rx . His rx will be better . But i want to see everything compared to the $6500 moop he has . Also how much is his ability to go to any dr or cancer clinic with a sup worth vs having a network now .

Your approach to advising someone who is retired from USPS and facing changes in health benefits seems well-considered. Here's a breakdown of the steps and considerations that could be helpful in this scenario:

Enroll in Medicare Part A​

1. Immediate Enrollment: Since Medicare Part A is usually premium-free for most people who have paid Medicare taxes while working, enrolling in Part A as soon as eligible (at age 65) is generally advisable. It provides hospital insurance and can work in conjunction with other health insurance plans.

Delaying Medicare Part B Enrollment​

1. Consider Current Coverage: If the retiree currently has coverage under the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program, delaying Part B enrollment can be a cost-saving option, as Part B comes with a monthly premium.
  2. Assessing Future PSHB Coverage: With USPS retirees transitioning to the Postal Service Health Benefits (PSHB) program in January 2025, it’s important to understand how this new plan will interact with Medicare. If PSHB provides comprehensive coverage, enrolling in Part B might not be immediately necessary.

Back