What do you say to a grieving family?

shonceman

Guru
1000 Post Club
I was a relatively young and new agent the first time a client passed away. The first few times working with a grieving family were awkward at best. I didn’t know what to say! On the other hand, now that I’ve been at this for 3 decades, I’ve gotten used to client deaths. Because of that, I’m afraid that sometimes in the midst of handling the business end of a death, I might not as sensitive as I should be to the personal suffering their family members are experiencing. NGL posted this helpful article in my FaceBook feed this morning:
What to Say (and What Not to Say) to Someone Who’s Grieving

So what are some helpful things you say to grieving family members?
What are some stupid things you’ve said or heard someone say?

I will say something along the lines oh "I'm really sorry for your loss" then listen. Many are current clients so I have some background notes in the file.

But then I get down to getting the information we need and a what to expect discussion. They get my cell if they do not have it. I let them know that I will be sending them an email and text so that I will be at the top of their feed and tell them to give the information to anyone that needs it.

I am compassionate, however, this my time to do what they hired me to do. I touch them during the claim and call them after they get the check.

I will say something along the lines oh "I'm really sorry for your loss" then listen. Many are current clients so I have some background notes in the file.

But then I get down to getting the information we need and a what to expect discussion. They get my cell if they do not have it. I let them know that I will be sending them an email and text so that I will be at the top of their feed and tell them to give the information to anyone that needs it.

I am compassionate, however, this my time to do what they hired me to do. I touch them during the claim and call them after they get the check.
Email and text is a great idea I haven’t thought of, but will begin to implement. Thanks!

Agree. The death gets them to thinking about whether or not they or other loved ones are adequetly covered. :yes:

And if they have an agent.

I handled a claim a month ago. The policy was an orphan and the company asked if I would help. As the claimant wanted to speak with an agent.

So far I have written 4 policies off of this. $120 - $260mo. The guy that wrote the original claim is still in the business but never returned their call for help. Dude!?! Thank you!

Back