What does the ARM Designation help you with?

beastofbang

New to insurance - apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum.

I'm looking at designations to boost my knowledge and make me stand out from my peers (I graduated with my Finance degree in 2020, and started working right away in a producer type role).

Anyway, the ARM designation seems to have a lot of overlap material with my business degree. It seems like a pretty good, quick path to the CPCU too, what with the new ARM to CPCU track. Those with the ARM designation, particularly producers, did it help you understand your role? How did it help, if at all? Any other designation recommendations? Thanks!

Well - what is your business model? What are you hoping to achieve? Do you have a field of expertise?

I work in commercial lines in E&S/P&C in a producer/underwriter trainee type role. I am hoping to achieve my CPCU, and the ARM to CPCU path looked promising.

I'm a CPCU, CLU, ARM.. and a Broker.

CPCU Risk from an underwriting perspective. Often considered the "MBA" of P&C Insurance.
ARM .. Risk from a Buyers perspective. Ideal for buyers and owners of risk at organizations.
Broker license.. you understand insurance well enough to sell ... and understand a select number carrier forms.

Have CPCU, ARM, AIM, CLU, CHFC. They provide knowledge,which leads to confidence. But they don’t mean sales directly. It’s what you do with this knowledge. Not required to make a lot of money. Customers have no clue what the heck they mean. Kinda like realtors with designations. Perhaps if trying to get hired at a insco they show some commitment.

One or two designations is enough. Someone with five or six has too much time on their hands or worked for a company that encouraged excess schooling. Hands on training is the best. Designations are a money pit. The ARM is a good designation but I like CIC the best.

CPCU is better if you're on the carrier side or want to become an underwriter. CIC is what many commercial lines agents are getting these days. Frankly if you're new to insurance it might be better to focus on getting clients before you work towards designations.

Back