• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

What Health Plan to Use for Diabetes Client in Ohio?

Hello, I just got a referral from a client--who has diabetes and is looking to get some health insurance. I sell in the Senior Market so this is a little out of my area of expertise. I'm am actually willing to give this guy as a referral to anyone here who thinks they could help him because I'm not appointed with many health carriers (only Assurant) and I really don't feel like getting appointed with another just for one fluke situation.

Here are his stats:

Male

46 years old

45204 zipcode (Ohio)

Type 2 Diabetes
Insulin-10ccs-2/day
Levemir- 64 ccs/day
Metformin- 1000mg- 2/day

Cholesterol-
2 medicines (didn't have his prescriptions with him) 1/day

1 baby aspirin/day

Arthritis-
Diclofenac- 75mg- 2/day

Nerve Blocker
Neurontin- 2/day

Vicodin- as needed for pain

He also had a benign lymph-node tumor in his armpit taken out about 7 years ago.

I really haven't got a clue if any company would cover him, and if they did how much it would be for. I'm thinking a catastrophic health policy (about $5000, $10000, or $15000 deductible) with perhaps a copay since he has regular doctors visits.

Any help would be appreciated, and like I said, it might be worth it for me to give him to someone else to take care of. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a risk pool in Ohio? If not wait on the national risk pool. Probably no commission but at least you'll get good referrals.

Just checked. Ohio does not have a state risk pool. I'm thinking maybe this guy should send a letter of thanks to Mr. Obama, lol.

BTW, when does the national risk pool take into effect? (Like I said, I sell to the Senior Market, so I am much more informed on Medicare changes than healthcare reform).

dgoldenz, he is an independent contractor (he is a hairstylist).

Thanks M&M and healthagent for the info.

I was reading the thread about mini meds for uninsurables (with Agent Jane pushing HII). The guarnteed issue health from HII seems like a mixmash of Aflac-like indemnity policies. I sell a few indemnity policies- cancer, hospital indemnity, accident. Would offering him an indemnity package be a good solution? Would referring him to HII (which many of you seem to not care for) be a good solution? Or should I just direct him to wiat a month for the national risk pool?

Just saw this. We have "Ohio Open Enrollment" through the DOI. Rates are high and some of the plans are no longer available.

That's his best bet, unless he wants to wait until July and try the high risk pool (which will probably be a higher rate than Ohio Open Enrollment).

Latest posts

Back