What Makes You Trust a Website?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
Over the last six months I've been focusing on improving the credibility of my own website, what makes you trust a site?

One of the things I've seen folks use a lot is a client list, but personally that doesn't do much for my confidence level. It seems it does matter to some consumers because it's on a lot of sites, but it's never mattered much to me.

Publicly registered domains, contact phone numbers, @yoursite.com email addresses, and a physical address all help.

I'm adding an EV SSL, but I don't know how much that will actually matter.

What makes you trust a website?

Yes, a real person's name and pictures. An address if there is one but a PO box is okay. Don't need a picture of the building though it helps but no phony office building pictures. A local phone number and an email address, not just a contact us form. If it doesn't have all these things it looks like they are hiding something. You have to ask what and why are they hiding.

It seems to me P&C agents include these things but most L&H agents are in hiding mode.

Any reason for only a local number verses an 800 line? That's something I've never thought of.

I'm adding an EV SSL, but I don't know how much that will actually matter.

We've had an EV SSL cert for several years. I don't think anybody knows the difference between this and a standard certificate. We've decided to drop the EV cert this year because not only is it significantly more expensive, renewing is a pain in the rear as we have to get letters from our attorney and accountant 'vouching' that we are who we say we are.

We've had an EV SSL cert for several years. I don't think anybody knows the difference between this and a standard certificate. We've decided to drop the EV cert this year because not only is it significantly more expensive, renewing is a pain in the rear as we have to get letters from our attorney and accountant 'vouching' that we are who we say we are.

I just went through that process, what a PITA.

I just went through that process, what a PITA.

And you get to do it every year. :)

As long as we're talking about trust, there's a pretty good indication that improving your site's "trust signals" will also help it's SEO rankings. Here's a video I did a few years ago on the topic:

And here's the second video where I go through some of the trust signals search engines are looking for:

Video 46: How to Show Search Engines And Prospects You are A Legit Insurance Agent | Methodology

Hmmm.... now I'm wondering if an EV cert is a signal recognized by search engines. Guess I'll find out!

Last edited by a moderator:
A public spokesman/person that everyone would know and just makes you think legitimate, by the way I thing Weiner might have an opening in the near future or maybe Spitzer.

:)

Any reason for only a local number verses an 800 line? That's something I've never thought of.

Probably doesn't matter for what you do with a national market. If I'm looking to do business with someone local and they don't have an address or local phone number listed I know they aren't a local business. If they just have an address with no local phone I'm leery it's just an address and not a location and they are actually out of state.

The more you put that says this is who I am and I'm easy to find gives one the sense that you don't have reason to hide.

Back