What would you do differently if you had to start over?

At age 60, I would not try to get into middle market. Usually if you start with FE, they recommend you to move into Medicare/supplements. See if this is something you like. Medicare Advantage does not pay immediately so it will drain your cash flow. Assuming you work at a decent IMO, FE should net you somewhere around 5k plus a week if you are following your coaches. You should nevertheless build a referral strategy with middle market agent. To be successful in middle and upper markets, you need a lot deeper understanding of underwriting. It takes about somewhere around 10 to 15 years to build that. In contrast Final expense, in 2 months you can learn everything about underwriting for 10 carriers and become an expert in FE. Last week I closed a middle market case that took me 14 months. I have probably closed FE cases in the past at 14 minutes after the lead came in. So there is a whole world of difference in cashflow despite the same licensing.

At age 60, I would not try to get into middle market. Usually if you start with FE, they recommend you to move into Medicare/supplements. See if this is something you like. Medicare Advantage does not pay immediately so it will drain your cash flow. Assuming you work at a decent IMO, FE should net you somewhere around 5k plus a week if you are following your coaches. You should nevertheless build a referral strategy with middle market agent. To be successful in middle and upper markets, you need a lot deeper understanding of underwriting. It takes about somewhere around 10 to 15 years to build that. In contrast Final expense, in 2 months you can learn everything about underwriting for 10 carriers and become an expert in FE. Last week I closed a middle market case that took me 14 months. I have probably closed FE cases in the past at 14 minutes after the lead came in. So there is a whole world of difference in cashflow despite the same licensing.
Net $5 k a week in fe ? Lol . There’s probably 1 out of 100 fulltime fe agents that “ net “ $250 k .

And if you were starting your life insurance career at the age of 60 hoping to work 10 more years, what might that plan look like? I just got started I'm working final expense but middle market might be of interest once I'm stable.

The problem is the 10 year time horizon. If you only want to work for 10 years, I'd stay in the FE and Medicare markets. Perhaps do some CDs to Annuities. Basic stuff by comparison of other kinds of insurance planning.

The legends I've studied... Ben Feldman, John Savage, Mehdi Fakharzadeh and many others... they kept selling at high levels well until they passed away. It wasn't because they needed the money. It was because they loved what they did.

Mr. Mehdi passed away in 2019 at 95, if I remember correctly. This video was of him at 87 still working and selling the same as always. Rumor has it (I wish I could document it) that he gave up a $700,000 a year pension to keep selling.

You may not have that kind of vision yet, but if you do, then you may want to invest in your long-term career to learn more ideas and planning at higher levels.

Back