What's Wrong with AFLAC ?

I think they could be a good company to get started with but not long run. They do offer a pretty good product, but like was told in this thread their prices can be beat. But if you can get under a good agent you can learn a lot. And this could be great to get your foot in the door. But very oversaturated with Aflac agents. When I went for an interview I asked repeatedly if I would be captive or could I stay independent and I never could get a straight answer.

All they wanted to do is for me to sign up and start training and cold call, cold call, cold call......

I recently interviewed with them. They get a small number of leads from their internet site. The rest come from Salegenie.com. Their process is to call the company and get the name of the owner/hr/manager from the gatekeeper. Once they have this info, they call it a "warm" lead. Then they hit the street and show up asking for the name of the person they got as the "warm" lead. I considered this approach a negative.

Of course they have fantastic branding and name recognition which presumably makes the sale easier when you have a receptive ear. However, I decided it wasn't for me. When I talk to a client face-to-face, I want them to know that they agreed to the meeting knowing why I am there.

I've been thinking of becoming an Aflac agent. Read many of the old posts so familiar with alot of the criticisms and the Koolaid. Heard that they are starting to offer more group policies. Do these have lower commissions- initially and over life of the policies? Is it easier to sell these and is there a benefit for the employees,employer and me? Since there are no protected territories, what's to stop another agent from going in and selling group to replace my existing individual policies?

Also seems that they are trying to get more brokers involved both for individual and group sales.What does this all mean for an independent agent?

I'm an agent with Aflac and its been a great experience so far. Depending on the product the commission ranges from 42%-53% and you can choose an accelerated benefit of 53% up front depending on your state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you can get a deal with the broker to sell then your in however it's how many companies that are larger choose to have it. As far as protected accounts they are. Replacement is only allowed if its the agent who is neglecting the client
Brokers are part of this business however building relationships with them can help everyone involved. Replacement is warranted only if the agent isn't servicing the client.

Last edited:
I'm an agent with Aflac and its been a great experience so far. Depending on the product the commission ranges from 42%-53% and you can choose an accelerated benefit of 53% up front depending on your state.
If you can get a deal with the broker to sell then your in however it's how many companies that are larger choose to have it. As far as protected accounts they are. Replacement is only allowed if its the agent who is neglecting the client
Brokers are part of this business however building relationships with them can help everyone involved. Replacement is warranted only if the agent isn't servicing the client.

Are you in management?

AFLAC is very heavily scripted.....My experience is that you work like busy bees while upper management takes all the credit. Pretty tough business to succeed in especially in areas were AFLAC agents are saturated. Still not a bad place to learn if your a newbie. The most frustuating thing is that you are writing business to replace the one you lost due to chargebacks. AFLAC reps get a bad rap due to they only write business without servicing the client. That is why there are so many chargebacks.

I started at AFLAC about 10 months ago. I'm lukewarm on the whole thing, but I've got a great setup. My District (the guy who works directly above me) is a great producer and will run most of my appointments if I want him to (for 0% commission aside from his take for being my boss). I've run my own appointments with success, but my district is the consummate salesman and is very successful.

It's a great deal for me. If I make 5 appointments a week, I should sign up at least 2 of the groups and I'm making a livable wage. This may be a temporary situation, but he at least seems enthusiastic about maximizing my enrollments.

Is this typical of others' AFLAC experience? There's a lot of negative on this forum, but as presently constituted, should I be asking for more out of a company? AFLAC or otherwise?

Back